18:

18:

April 7th, 2017

“We're changing the date,”

Elaine says just as I finish unpacking the living room. We just moved out of Elaine's and Martin's home, and Ian couldn't be happier. Especially after that fight they had over Alec staying with us. Ian doesn't want Alec Rolf near me so here we are now. Moving into an unfinished home.

Elaine's stressed exhale doesn't halt my process. I keep unpacking our boxes for the living room After this I will be done with downstairs and moving onto upstairs.

“That's why we're putting the wedding on hold,”

I knew this was coming, and that's what makes it more perfect. This gives me more time to plan my escape. I was prepared for Danny and I to leave Ian at the altar, but now I can save him some embarrassment. Danny and I won't even be in a two foot radius of Ian once the wedding day gets here. We'll be far, far, far away from him.

“Ava darling, did you hear me?”

“Yeah Elaine, I heard you.” I nod while moving on to Ian's paintings. All of the kitchen utensils and appliances are up. Now all I need to do is hang his abstract paintings on the living room walls.

“Well, are you okay with it?” She presses.

It's Thursday afternoon, three days before the day of the wedding and now Elaine wants to change it. I'm not complaining though. In fact, I'm rejoicing. This is the best news that has graced my ears ever since I found out Danny was being moved to kindergarten.

“What the fuck do you mean, okay with it?” Ian's concerned voice makes me tense. I can tell by the way his lips stay fixed together that he is not too thrilled about this news.

He is standing in front of me, putting the pictures up while I hand them to him.

“I mean...” Elaine's sharp, jeweled eyes remain intent on Ian. She is just as serious as he is.

“Since your father and I are paying for this whole thing again- might I add- we need to be there to see it all unfold.”

“You're going to miss it?” I try to hide the excitement in my voice. The less people to stop me from leaving the better.

“We would miss it if I hadn't planned on changing the date. We'll be in Rio De Janeiro for a few weeks so I can launch my clothing line, Emerald.” She beams happily. I have an urge to smile too but I stop myself. I shouldn't be happy for the wicked step- mother who created the monster beside me.

Ian mumbles a few incoherent words before sighing, “When is it now?”

“May seventeenth, two thousand and seventeen,” she informs with a small head nod.

That's nine days after my twenty fourth birthday. What a wonderful birthday present; to finally go home to my family.

“Ava, cancel whatever plans you were making. Mom owes everyone an explanation and an apology.” Ian verbalizes.

“Already done.” She replies just as hastily.

I look up to see Elaine's smooth diamond shaped face and curved red lips. While Ian has his face down, silently pondering. I notice his eyes narrow the longer he thinks. He knows she'll always have one up on him.

“Remember children, mother knows best.” She leaves our living room to go to the kitchen.

I'm suddenly thirsty so I head towards the kitchen.

“Where are you going?”

“To get some water,” I answer his stupid question with a tone of annoyance.