23:

23:

Note: It's been awhile since I've written so I'm a bit rusty .-.

Everything is different now. My life is different now--I'm different now.

What I used to want contrasts to what I want now. How I used to think is different from what I think now.

Ian is different now. His life is different now too.

All he could ever hope for has fallen right into place. The perfect home, the perfect career, the perfect status, the perfect family. The perfect me.

It's been one month since we've announced our new addition to the family. Ian is happy but as for me, I'm not. I just have to act like I am. Even when I met up with Alec, he wasn't happy and neither was I. As far as I was concerned I had stooped to a new low.

Last week the Hunt's hosted a charity event to raise money for blind children. I remember a time when Elaine would beam with excitement at the thought of me having another child. Now, she has taken the reigns. She plans everything without a complaint in the world- from doctor's visits to the location of the baby's shower, she has taken control.

During the charity event she asked me what theme I wanted. I didn't tell her because Ian doesn't want to reveal the sex of the baby yet. Only he, Danny and I know. And we had to bribe our son with candy just to get him to keep quiet.

I remember the day the doctor told Ian and I we were expecting. We had just returned from one of Danny's little league games. As soon as I entered the house I felt dizzy. The next thing I knew I was waking up in the hospital with Ian by my side, smiling as if he was the happiest man on earth.

After I let it all sink in, the dread quickly took over. All I could think about was Jared and how disappointed he'd be in me. He wouldn't want me and Danny here. And yet, there I was, allowing myself to be used and walked over.

"You okay?" Ian addresses me with a curious tone.

The reflection in the mirror scrutinizes me. It mocks me and reminds me that I'm the complete opposite of okay.

"I...uh," I sigh before regaining my composure. "I don't want to do this anymore."

Four whole months. Four long months of training with Alec at Martins' company and this is what I've become. A valuable asset to the future of this company. A piece in their strategic game of ego.

Tonight is going to be hell. I can feel it.

"Don't be so nervous babe," he says. "You've worked hard for this and no one deserves it more than you do." He kisses me on my cheek, sending slight chills through me.

Taking my hand in his, he leads us downstairs. As we descend the cascading steps, the aura of the room changes from light and airy to tense and solemn. Sparkling chandeliers line the ceiling, creating a magical setting. The floors are marble and polished to perfection. As my eyes roam the huge room, I see a gather of people. Highly important people, judging from their attire.

All eyes are on us, staring intently at how we walk, listening carefully to how we talk and watching how we act.

We stop nearly half way down the stairs to address the crowd of watchful eyes.

"Good evening friends," Ian smiles at the people below. "Colleagues."

They all nod in acknowledgement.

"This is my one and only; my Ava," he pauses then continues. "And tonight we will honor her for her contributions to our company."

A roar of applauds erupts through the entire room. I see several faces. Some old, some extremely young. The women have so much plastic surgery that if they stay in the light too long their faces will surely melt. I observe the men; old and on their death beds. Probably Martin's friends.

"Miss?"

I'm handed a glass of champagne but before I can politely refuse Ian takes it from me. He remembers how I acted when I was pregnant with Danny.

"She'll be having water," he says quietly.

The waitress nods before moving to another couple.

After cocktails, we are led into a theatre room. It has rows and balcony seats. There is a stage with a podium. Looking past that is a screen with my name and picture on it. I'm the keynote speaker tonight who will be joining the Hunts Corporation. Alec and I cut a deal with a Belgium Oil Company.

After my "heroic" speech followed a small recession. Everyone could use the rest room, have a drink or continue socializing. Just being here for fifty minutes has already made me miss Dana's wild parties. I fit into those better than Ian's "social gatherings" as he calls them.

Anyway, time went by rather quickly, but my boredom? Now that was another battle. Which is why I was relieved to hear that dinner was now being served. I don't think I could stand another minute of hearing Mr. Finkleton brag about the investments he has made.

It is now 7:30 p.m. and we are currently seated at the large table, eating and chatting with guests. I notice one bulky guy catches Ian's attention. They communicate without words, sending silent signals.

"Who is-?" Before I can question, Mr. big and bulky dude speaks.

"Mr. Hunt." The bald headed man is dressed in an all-black suit and shades. Must be an important guy.

He ushers Ian away from me and closer to the double doors. High with suspicion, I keep my eyes trained on them. No one else notices how strange the vibe is now. No one notices but me.

"Ava darling!" A high pitched voice resonates through the chatter of seated guests. I know that voice. The voice of a middle aged woman with too much time on her hands.

"Not right now, Elaine."

By this time I've stood up.

"What do you mean?" She looks me over suspiciously. As if I'm hiding something. "Why in such a hurry?" She moves my loose hair to my shoulder.

"I have to freshen up. Hold that thought." I correct my previous statement to make it more polite. Knowing Elaine Hunt, she is satisfied with my change in attitude.

She nods in approval so I walk past her to make my way towards the doors. This isn't our home so I don't know where much of anything is. I make a split decision to head towards the stairs.

With my hand tightly gripping the rail, I feel my muscles tighten also. A pounding heartbeat resonates through my chest when I hear an ear piercing scream. My body instantly tenses as my throat dries up. I don't know what is happening, but something isn't right. This doesn't feel right. And--

Why does that scream sound so familiar?

I continue creeping to the source of the noise. My senses have skyrocketed along with my fear, therefore causing me to regret my decision to leave the dining room.

Inhaling deeply, I step closer to the door. My ear is now pressed against the wooden entrance so I can hear.

A few murmurs are exchanged and then silence. The next words I hear are, "Don't move or I'll shoot."

And just as those words leave, another fear arises when I feel an object pressed to the back of my head. Shit.