10:

10:

The restaurant is just perfect. It's not too crowded nor is it too empty. From where we are seated-on the balcony- we can look down at other guests. To our right is a beautiful view of the New York City skyline, lighting up the night sky. I didn't know we were so close to NYC until tonight. It took us about thirty minutes to arrive in the city from where we currently live.

“Hello everyone, I apologize for our tardiness.”

I turn to see Elaine and Martin standing at the end of our table. She winks at me before turning to someone behind her. The girl is red headed with big green eyes and plump red lips. Her attire is a form fitting gold, shimmery dress with black tights and pumps.

I know her but do I care for her? No, not really.

So instead of focusing on Emmy Fuller- the girl who lied and betrayed me in college- I draw my attention to the large table. I didn't realize how huge it was until noticing there are three more seats left.

“Who else is coming?” I whisper to Ian.

“It's a surprise for you, babe. Do you really want to ruin it?”

From that moment on I sat anxiously. Danny kept talking about birds and bees and how unfair he thought it was for Blaze to have puppies. I don't even know. All I know is he was making everyone laugh with his theatrics.

“BLAZE CAN'T HAVE PUPPIES 'CAUSE BIRDS AND BEES CAN ONLY DO THAT.” He shouts after the millionth time my mom explains what it really means.

“What is my little buddy talkin' about?” A southern accent steals everyone's attention from Danny.

My eyes light up at the sight of Mandy. She's dressed in a white sweater, a coral scarf, and black leggings. Her shoes are brown boots. 

After hugging her, Joel, and Mel we watch them place their Christmas presents at the end of the table before taking a seat. I have to do a double take because this is the first time I've ever seen Joel wear a nice shirt with nice pants. He looks decent, especially with his newly trimmed hair.

After my parents say grace we dig in. There is enough food for everyone to get thirds, if they wanted to. Flavorful scallops, steak and potatoes, broccoli, caesar salad, rolls, cranberrycrab dumplings, stuffing, and turkey decorate the table. The food smells delicious.  

“This is just so wonderful,” Elaine snaps a quick picture of Ian, Danny and I.

Danny frowns while Ian remains silent. He's taking in the scene just like I am.

“Don't they look fabulous, Emmy?”

I roll my eyes, trying my hardest to keep quiet. Sometimes I hate how I'm supposed to be for Ian; seen but not heard. And other times, my silence speaks the loudest. Sometimes I don't need to say anything at all. But this isn't one of those moments.

“Elaine, can we just enjoy dinner without you ruining everyone's appetite?” My mom speaks for me, making me grin.

“The only one ruining someone's appetite is you with that hideous dress on.”

“Ooooh slayed,” Joel laughs, making me glare his way.

“The only thing slayed is Elaine's haircut. Tell me, do you think it's cool to go to the same barber as your step son?”

I watch my mom sip her red wine with a victorious smirk. Elaine is fuming, her eyes narrow at my mom while she straightens her newly cut hair. It's down to her shoulders instead of past them.

“Who invited you? It's clear trash belongs outside.” Elaine retorts bitterly.

My mom is about to speak but I stop her.