07

07:

*Warning: This chapter contains an explicit scene*

What am I doing here? What am I doing sitting in Elaine's office with Ian's hand capturing mine? What am I doing sitting here allowing this to happen again? What the hell is wrong with me?

“I just...I just lost it and I'm sorry.” his heavy sigh sweeps across the tense silent room. I notice a small tear slide down my cheek so I lift my hand to wipe it. My right eye is still swollen and my lip still has crusted blood on it. It hurts to touch. I feel a reassuring squeeze on my hand that makes me want to pull away more. I try to pull out of his grasp but he holds it tighter.

“I'm sorry, babe.”

With my eyes trained on my denim jeans, I shake my head disapprovingly. I can't forgive him for this. Not this time, at least. The memories of that day still rattle my bones.

Mommy!” I see Danny's tiny body running towards the car. His hair is disheveled and so are his clothes. He had a busy day.

Hey munchkin! How was school?” I ask once Ian straps him in.

It was awesomest! We drawed Tanksgiving Turkeys!” he smiles widely, revealing tiny white teeth.

Ian laughs while I turn to face him. His tiny fingers grip his bag while his legs swing freely.

Ohh, lemme see!” I smile back just as wide when I see his lit up emerald eyes.

He starts digging through his backpack while I wait.

Hello Mrs. Hunt, can I speak to you for a minute?”

Turning to the window, I see a middle aged woman with graying hair standing outside the car.

Once I step out the car I'm greeted by a warm smile and wrinkled face. The beaming teacher seems pleasant as she shakes my hand.

I'm Mrs. Nichols. Danny's pre school teacher.”

Oh, hi.” I smile nervously.

Hi,” she half smiles then says, “I just wanted to address the note your son wrote last week.”

She pulls out something from her satchel. It's a piece of paper.

I asked him and everyone else in class to write a letter to a family member they missed and explain why they missed that person or persons,” she frowns then says,

Well, this is what he wrote.”

With my hand on the paper, I make a quick glance back to see Ian leaning against the car. He has no idea what Mrs. Nichols is saying and I pray he doesn't walk over here to find out.

So, if there is anything going on-”

What could be going on?” Ian asks abruptly. The heat resonating off his body bleeds into mine. I swallow nervously, trying to mask my sudden fear.

I asked him why'd he write this...letter and he told me because his mommy needed help.”

Staring at the three bold words, my heart drops.

-Dear Grandma,

Mommy needs help.

He even left our old address on the letter.

He wanted me to mail it to his grandmother who already lives with him. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of help she needs,” her hands lock together while she stands straighter. Her golden brown eyes hold Ian's unshakable stare.