13.

13:

Ava's POV

Silence and darkness. That's all that surrounds me as I sit quietly. The silence calms my beating heart while the dark shadows of night blind my sights. I have no idea how long I've been up here, but I do know one thing; I love being alone. In this moment, I can just be by myself. Thinking of only myself. I know it sounds selfish but ever since Ian took me from everything four years ago, I haven't had a moment alone. From constantly being with him, to getting free and still dealing with him. And after Danny's birth, I completely let go of being alone. I forgot what it's like to be alone.

It's gotten so bad that I can't even remember the last time I was ever alone. Out of a twenty four hour day, I can't even enjoy one second alone. I mean even when I go to the bathroom Danny is constantly asking if he can come in to protect me from the toilet monster.

It's cute but still.

Sighing loudly, I contemplate on whether I should go back downstairs or stay up here. It was a few hours ago Ian came home to see me still overtaken with sickness; mainly nausea today. I haven't been feeling well and everyone is in a panic because of it. They haven't left me alone until now. Elaine, Ian, and Mandy think I've fallen asleep but I haven't. I'm just sitting on my bed, staring at the dark drapes in front of me.

You need to wake up,”

I am awake. Can't you see that?” I snap rudely, not giving a thought to the voice behind me.

Ava, don't get snappy with me, Missy.” I freeze from the sound of Dana's playful voice. She excites me to the point where I jump up so quickly that nausea settles in my tummy.

Covering my mouth, I swallow the need to vomit before allowing her presence to settle. She's dressed in what looks like a flashing Christmas sweater and flare legged jeans.

Dana? What the- what are you wearing? And why are you here?”

Forget what I'm wearing, okay? It was this or a turtleneck.” She pulls her hat from her head; revealing short, wavy brown hair. The pure look of disgust in her face is making me laugh.

Who the hell invented these stupid ass sweaters?”

Let me guess, your parents got rid of all your clothes so you had to borrow your mom's?”

Don't say one word,”

Oh, so I was right. A burst of laughter flows from me, causing Dana to laugh too. She shakes her head before shrugging.

I guess when you're dead, you're supposed to stay dead.”

Am I the only one who responds to you?”

She holds her head down while I fight the urge to cry. Dana always visits me in my dreams which explains what's happening now. I must have fallen asleep.

Ava, listen to me. You need to wake up...” Her voice trails off and then I hear, “Good God you look horrific,” She grimaces at my ill state. Her small body walks over to me. She runs her fingers through my hair, tying it into a bun in the process.

I'm getting better. Doctor Gillies and Elaine say I'll be fine in the next few months.” I smile contentedly. I just have a mild case of Pneumonia.

That's the problem,” She plops down beside me, making a point to emphasize the word “problem.”

You're not sick because of that,”