06.

06:

06:

It's loud here. Maybe even too loud. The mix of laughter, mumbled chatter, and festive music force a small ache to erupt in my head. I should be smiling and dancing too but after studying for eight hours straight, it's obvious I'm in no mood.

Ava, come on!” Dana shouts enthusiastically. Her hands summon for me to go near her and her “new friends.”

I'm...” Ready to go, but I don't want to be a killjoy. I don't want to be boring, nerdy Ava. And if I keep sitting her like a grandma then I'll be labeled just that. Even my parents have more fun than I do.

Even your folks have more fun than you do!”

Dana...” I roll my eyes at her carefree state. She is currently on her fifth bottle of Coors Lite while swaying to the pop music.

Ava...stop being a stiff. You're embarrassing me,” She huffs jokingly.

I laugh dryly while crossing my arms. I'm not dancing. As if she heard me and is now on a mission to prove me wrong, a hand encircles my wrist, pulling me up. She pulls me to the dance floor and before I know it, I'm holding a bottle of beer and dancing to the music.

That late September she got me to do what my parents couldn't even get me to do. She got me to let my hair down and dance on the tabletops, drunk out of my mind.

*

The small buzz on my ankle frightens me to the point where I jog to keep up. Ian decided to make me wear an electric anklet so I don't run off. I wish he'd trust me because this alone, is making it harder for me to do my job.

The loud noise of the roller coaster above makes me jump. Ian chuckles before grabbing my hand. Danny is on his shoulders while we walk through the theme park.

I notice a few people stare at us like they know who we are while others ignore us. One of those “others” are police officers. They walk right by us without glancing our way.

Another powerful noise forces my hands to cover my ears. The sound of gunshots can be heard from behind us.

“It's just a game,” Ian reassures me calmly.

I've been inside for three-almost four months and I'm still not used to loud, outside noises. One would think having a three year old in the house would be enough noise but not if he's quiet most times. Like now, for example.

He gently removes my hands then places a soft kiss on my sweaty forehead. I'm nervous and I need to calm down.

“Let's take a break,” he sits us down at a picnic table with a light green umbrella above it.

We eat our sandwiches and drink our lemonade while talking about everything under the sun. Danny stays quiet while Ian and I laugh and talk. He makes a few jokes about my midget height while I joke about his fear of heights. He hasn't rode any roller coasters, just baby rides with Danny.

After our laughing ceases, I notice a smell of deliciousness. The sweet aroma of cotton candy invades my nostrils and makes me hum in satisfaction.

Ian notices and asks if I want some. I nod before turning my head to my son.

“You want some cotton candy, sweetie?” I suggest sweetly, trying to make him engaged.

He bites his bottom lip then shakes his head vigorously.