04.

04.

As I stand in the bathroom doorway, I make sure I observe every inch of the dimly lit room before me. It's large and yet feels so empty. There is an  eerily quiet. A quiet so disturbing it makes my veins cold. 

Gathering our dirty clothing, I place them in the hamper before straightening up everything else. After we got settled, Ian's father, Martin decided to show up for dinner. Apparently, Ian didn't like that and everyone could feel it too. He left abruptly, forcing Danny to ask more questions. All I could do was tell him to stay quiet and finish dinner. 

Martin excused himself before chasing after Ian.  He left Elaine, Danny and I sitting awkwardly. Awkward for Elaine because of my warning to her about Danny. And Awkward for me because I really didn't want to be there in the first place. 

"Ava," 

My head snaps up from the familiar sound of Ian Hunt. He's laying in bed with his collared shirt unbuttoned.  If I look close enough I can see the shot glass in his hand.  

"I've been meaning to ask you something," 

I stand up straighter to face him. Lacing  my fingers together, I release a nervous breath.

"Yeah?" 

He waltzes over to me with impeccable balance and sophistication. Everything about him is poise and composed. From the way his feet align when he walks to the way his sensual lips part when he talks.  He's not drunk from one shot.

"Why are you still wearing that?" He points to my finger. The same finger my engagement ring encirles. 

Before I can say or do anything, I feel my shoulders being grabbed. He pushes me until I'm up against the wall. 

My heart starts to stammer in my chest and before I know it I'm gripping his arms tightly. 

"Why the fuck are you still wearing that?" 

"I-I didn't get a chance to take it off yet,"  I lie quickly, hoping he buys it. Jared's ring keeps me closer to him. Even if he may be dead, I still need to feel connected to him. And wearing my engagement ring keeps him with me. 

"Looks like now's a good time," 

I want to argue back but I know that won't do me any good. So with heavy reluctance and an aching heart, I slide the ring off. 

"Give it to me," he demands sternly. 

"Just...just let me hold onto it," I'm so close to begging. "I swear I won't wear it again." 

"Ava, do you understand fucking English? Give. It. To. Me." He growls harshly. The scent of strong liquor invades my nostrils, making me cringe. 

My face contorts from the pain of being punched in my jaw. A loud grunt penetrates my lips while I try to regain air. 

"Do what I say when I say it," 

I feel my arm being pulled before the ring is snatched out of my hand. Out of my life, and out of my heart. Our rings mean so much and without it I feel as though I've lost a piece of my soulmate. A piece of myself. 

#

Slowly, I begin to feel my body stir and my eyelids open.  The light from the window spill into the room, making it appear brighter than outside.