Grazie

(A/N: hey y'all! just a disclaimer, they'll be both talking in English even though they're Italians. )

"I'm out for a walk mom, I'll be back in the hotel soon." Daniella tried to have a proper conversation on the phone over the loud noises of the passing cars and people of the street around her.

Daniella was In Holland for a vacation with her family after it was allowed to go abroad because of the lockdown back in Roma. Even though she is 18 now, her strict parents were over protective. Having a walk alone was impossible to do with them, especially in night times but she just needed fresh air to clear her mind so she was gone before they came back from dinner.

It was already dark outside and her stomach started making noises due to the absence of the dinner she missed.

"Wasn't a good idea skipping dinner.." she muttered to herself, looking around to find any food restaurants around her.

She saw a little a big sign saying 'Burger and chips' on the other side of the street. She was so hungry she wasn't even thinking twice before heading there.

She entered there, it looked more like a diner. Like in those American TV shows she keeps watching over and over again since she's little.

The door bell rang as she stepped forward to the counter, surrounded by Neon light. She sat on a high chair near to the bar, settling her bag on the back of her chair.

"Welcome to the Holy Burger, What can I get for you?" A young lady with big glasses and short hair came to her from behind the bar with a pen and a little notebook to write the order.

"Hi, I'd like to have a big burger, with chips and some Coca Cola please." She said to the waitress while her pen was writing on the paper. "Cheese?" The waitress raised her look to Daniella who shook her head as 'no'. "Anything else?" She asked, "no thanks." Daniella smiled kindly. "Will be ready in 15 minutes."

A few moments passed, Daniella was deep in her phone, keeping up on social media when a deep voice came from her right. "Is this place taken?" A long haired guy with dark eyeliner around his eyes pointed on the chair beside to her.

"No, you can have it." She said while raising slowly her eyes from the phone towards the guy, her jaw dropped slightly as soon as she saw him, and for her surprise he sat on the chair instead of taking it somewhere else.

"Oh, I taught you're taking the chair." She came out of her trance of shock , slightly staring at him. "Is that okay? I can go.." He asked ready to stand up again.

"No! Its okay I was just not... never mind." She said rashly, looking away back to her phone.

"Your accent, are you Italian?" The mysterious guy asked glancing at her from the side.

"Yes, why?" Daniella answered raising her look at him once again.

He shrugged his shoulders, eying up and down the girl beside him, "intuition. Roma?" He asked, "currently yes but I used to live in Pescara for the most of my life." She observed his face, finding it quite familiar.

"You look hella familiar, do I know you?" She looked at him with furrowed eyes, trying to remember where from.

"I don't know, tell me you." His lips curved upwards and Daniella could not avoid looking at them for a slight second. "I wouldn't ask if I knew." She rolled her eyes sarcastically.

"Your order, Damiano David?" The waitress came, trying to read his name with her dutch accent, handing him a bag full of meals.

The name rang too familiar not to recognize it but Daniella wasn't sure where she heard it before.

"Hungry aren't we?" She eyed the bag on the bar. "It's not for me, my friends are around the corner." He explained chuckling a bit.

"Buon appetito then. Damiano." She grinned at the guy as he stood up from his seat, holding the bag of food in his hand, ready to go. "Grazie -" he paused, realizing he doesn't know her name. "Daniella." She said with assuring nod of her head.

"Grazie Daniella," he grinned at her making her blush to her name ringing on his tongue. "Let me know if you recognized me, you'll find the way." He winked at her and turned to walk out the restaurant.

'What did he mean by that?' She thought to herself, watching him leaving. 'Why is he so hot?' Million of thoughts echoed inside her head.

"Your burger." The waitress laid her meal on the bar, leaving soon after to attend other clients. Daniella snapped out of her thoughts, starting to eat the food she craved for.

*********

She was back in the hotel, after getting yelled for being back too late from her parents, they sat all of them to watch the Eurovision. Daniella was never fan of it, she usually was informed about the winner by the internet and never had a real interest in it. She tried to make excuses about going to sleep early but her family convinced her to watch, or at least they thought she watched it with them but actually she was watching TikToks in the background.

"Pity we couldn't buy tickets for the real thing." My mom complained. They tried to, that's why they're in Holland actually. The tickets were sold out before they got the chance to buy them and the hotel was already set up.

"It's just a concert, I don't get the excitement." Daniella mumbled and rolled her eyes to herself, hoping they didn't hear that. "Shhh Italy is next!" Her 15 years old brother called. She sighed and turned off her phone screen, deciding to watch her country's song.

The moment the song started her jaw dropped. The guy Daniella met earlier in that burger place, was the guy who was performing in the tv. The same one her best friend is talking about everyday since that band released their first song. The same guy she saw in person a few hours ago, that long haired guy with the eyeliner. She felt stupid. How could she not recognize him? She knew his name before, she saw him before, why the hell could she not recognize him?

"This must be a joke." She muttered, still in shock, her eyes glued to the screen. "I kind of like it." Her brother got in the mood of the song, 'playing' an imaginary guitar with his hands to the music radiating from the tv.

Daniella didn't say a word afterwards, not telling her parents about the guy she met and how he and his band are the representatives of Italy in the Eurovision. It's for the best. Also, they criticized the way he looked, with the tight clothes, the eyeliner and the tattoos, they just hated the guy from the second he appeared on the screen.

After Italy was announced as the winners, a thought came into Daniella's mind ; 'should I text him on instagram?' He told her she'd find her way, maybe that's the way?

No. She deleted that thought and fell asleep in her bed.

*********