The Cupid Attack: Sarah POV

"Look at that, it's closed, what a shame." I scowled up at the Eiffel Tower in annoyance. We had walked for hours through busy streets for nothing. Jace laughed offhandedly.

"Since when have you been discouraged by a few signs?"

"Can you read those signs? 'Stay out, closed for repairs'?" I glanced up at the top of the metal giant. "This thing was only supposed to last for the World's Fair in 1889. They didn't take it down because they liked it so much, and now it's just a disaster waiting to happen. It's a miracle it's still standing. " Jace raised his eyebrow at me. Before he could ask about how I knew so much about it I muttered, "Annabeth has worn off on me over the years." I could probably recite the ages of architecture from all the years of her talking about them. I sighed, picturing how much she would have loved the lacey metal and sweeping arches.

Ever since we had arrived at Paris, the nightmares had been worse. Much, much worse. I couldn't even bring myself to tell Jace about them. I had almost let it slip before we walked into the sushi house of horror. (Seriously, ew.) But the incident with the waiter and the demon had evaporated any chance I had of getting it off my chest. Thinking about the weird little red skinned demon made me furious all over again. I was in a bad mood to begin with and I wanted to kick some monster ass, but Eva wanted to chat with him instead. Then we got sent off on our little adventures and I was not pleased.

My anger hardened my resolve.

"Alright, let's go." Jace looked at me skeptically.

"You sure? We don't have to." He touched my arm reassuringly. I bit my lip and then sighed.

"Yeah, we have to." He smiled at me.

"Don't worry, if you fall through the cracks I'll catch you." He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the looming mass.

"How reassuring," I muttered.

It may have been closed but Jace and I are experts at getting into places we shouldn't be. He flew us over the fence blocking the entrance. There were a couple of elevators that seemed to be out of order, but we pried the doors open. Jace gave it a zap of electricity and it immediately came to life. He pressed the button for up and yanked be inside right before the doors closed with a sharp snap. We zoomed upwards so fast I thought it was going to shoot out of the elevator shaft. It jerked to a stop sending me flying a few inches off the ground. I yelped at the sudden flight, but Jace caught me around the middle before I crashed on the ground.

"Sorry," he grinned down at me. "I must have given it too much juice." I pushed off his chest and got out of the elevator as fast as I possibly could.

"I don't like elevators anymore," I announced to him. He nodded in understanding. I walked towards the railing of the tower in apprehension. The outer layer that kept people from regularly plunging to their deaths had been removed. Only one bar that came up to my stomach kept me from tripping off the edge. I didn't look down, I only looked out. I had to admit, the view was beautiful. Not as beautiful as London had been when I was floating in Jace's arms with his heart hammering against mine. And his lips brushing against my jaw. I blushed and looked at my shoes.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jace leaning over the balcony too, with a face of utter exhilaration. He wore some jeans and a soft cotton shirt that Eva had picked out for him. He looked like he walked off the pages of a magazine. The sun was setting; it was casting shadows down his cheeks and turning his hair pure gold. My heart stuttered as he looked at me.

"You don't mind if I go check out the view from the other side do you?" I said okay. He hurried off to the other side grinning. I huffed and watched the sun set for about a minute longer. Then I heard a squeak behind me and assumed that Jace was back. I turned around, looking for him. I frowned when I realized he was nowhere to be found. My hand tightened reflexively around the rail.