37 | The Lucky Gal

 "I decided to keep the baby and raise it, Quaro."

Hindi siya sumagot at nanatiling nakatitig kay Paige. She was sitting across the table, hands holding the cup of coffee whilst her head bent down. Ang tingin nito'y nasa kape subalit alam niyang ang isip ay nasa ibang lupalop.

Nakaupo siya sa harap nito at tahimik na nakikinig. Puno ang shop ng customer subalit may dalawang staff na siyang kinuha upang tumulong, kaya malaya siyang maglaan ng oras upang kausapin si Paige.

He had renovated his shop and it had been running for a few days now. Nabili niya ang kabilang pwesto na dati ay patahian, kaya pinalawak niya iyon. He had added more tables, more shelves for his bread, and more space for the customers. The interior was in minimalist design.

Ibinalik niya ang pansin kay Paige na tila wala sa sariling nakatitig sa kape.

She was having a baby, and yet, she wasn't happy because she never wanted to have one. She was unprepared—mentally and emotionally.

He was the second person who had learned about her pregnancy. Ang una'y ang ama ng dinadala nito. But the guy had no intention of owning up to his responsibility and Paige was thinking of having an abortion. She had told him about it, dahil gulung-gulo na rin ito at hindi alam ang gagawin.

Paige came from a strict Chinese family, and her parents wouldn't be happy if they learned that she was having a child out of wedlock. Sinabi rin ni Paige na hindi pa nito gustong magkaanak, at ang pagkakabuntis nito'y hindi inasahan. She had claimed it was safe sex, but condoms weren't 100% certain—he had tried to explain that to her. It could also be possible that the guy she was seeing was simply just an asshole who tricked her.

He and Paige had stopped their sexual relationship a few days after he and Kirsten hit the bed. Iyong araw na huli silang nag-usap kung saan inabutan pa sila ni Kirsten.

Paige had met a new guy since then, and she told him about it. He was happy for her; not until she told him that the guy didn't want to do anything about her pregnancy.

Kinombinsi niya si Paige na h'wag ituloy ang plano nitong abortion.

He wasn't perfect; he wasn't kind; he wasn't a hero—but he just couldn't allow her to get rid of the life inside her. Kung wala siyang gagawin upang pigilan ang plano nito'y ano ang pinagkaiba niya sa mga mamamatay tao?

He had asked her to continue the pregnancy, and if she didn't want the baby, he was willing to adopt it once it was born. Hindi niya alam kung bakit siya bigla na lang nagpasiya ng ganoon, he just wanted to save the baby. Sinabi niya rin dito kung gaano siyang na-dismaya sa naging pasiya nito; he had never thought Paige was capable of doing such a heinous act.

Ayaw niya ng responsibilidad—hindi siya handa roon. Pero iyon lang ang naisip niyang paraan upang maisalba ang bata. He was even willing to speak to Paige's parents and take responsibility. He would tell them that he couldn't marry their daughter but he was willing to support her and the baby. Iyon lang ang maitutulong niya sa kaibigan. But Paige refused and told him that she would speak to her parents all by herself.