Letter to My Best Friend

Est. January 2020

Dear [Best Friend],

Today I saw my Dad in person for the first time in 5 years. I was super nervous before, but things went very well, and I'm excited even more so to move now.

He told me how he had to drive through snow, fog, and rain to get to me, and all on winding roads with bald tires, stopping at shitty hotels when he could.

All just to show up for court so he could fight to have me.

For the first time since meeting [other friends grandmother], I feel truly, and deeply, loved.

We talked about my hardships and my goals.

I came out to him, [as bisexual], and he said he figured already.

He said that he likes that I express myself, be it through piercings, hair colors, or tattoos.

We talked about his girlfriend (who also dyes her hair and has piercings) and his stepson who is the cutest kid I've ever seen and loves cheese.

He's more of a dad now, and looks like one too with the few white hairs in his beard.

A dad, but still one who drives yellow sports cars and has a lawyer dedicated to getting him out of speeding tickets.

He's going to teach me how to drive, and I'm looking forward to picking violin back up again when I go to live with him.

We also talked of moving into a bigger house and having family movie nights, and man, [Best Friend] I could cry sometimes.

It's all happening in little more than a month.

I know you're happy for me, as well as saddened to hear I won't be living in _____ until college.

Until then, you better call me fool!

Stay young at heart,

[Me]