17 || Alone

I had a hard time falling asleep for the first time since I got here. Everything that happened during the night kept replaying in my head over and over again. The outside was so beautiful. I felt so free. The change of scenery was so nice. All of it was invigorating. At some point, after watching the snow fall for a few minutes, I got up and dragged Toby into the snow with me. I stumbled around in large boots and no jacket, making Toby lose his footing a few times as well.  We ran about and I let go of his hand to fall back into the snow. Toby flopped back right next to me. We started to make snow angels, laughing all the while like little kids. I threw a few snowballs and got a few thrown back at me. Only when I felt a chill did we go back inside.

Toby brought me back to my room after that. We just gazed at each other for a few seconds. Before Toby left, I warned him to stay warm. He said the same to me. I closed the door behind me before stripping away all the soaked clothes. Though feeling completely warm inside, my outside was freezing. I tucked myself in bed, under all the blankets I have, thinking about what happened. Eventually, I did fall asleep. With a heart full of warmth.

I stayed in my room all day. The only visit I had was from EJ, the aggressive guy. He threatened to kill me if I did anything to jeopardize this household. Rather graphically, might I add. That was the only thing he said while dropping a plate of food off. After eating, I planned to keep the plate in my room to return when I went out at night.

I was surprised that Toby never came to talk. And I thought we bonded last night. What would have driven him away? Is there something wrong? I can feel it in the air that something is not quite right today. There seems to be a looming danger throughout the air. It reminds me of when I was being stalked, though not nearly as intense. Just enough wrong with the ambience to make me feel on edge. Nearly everyone is avoiding me too. Not even Clockwork has come to talk to me. I want to know what is going on.

The stress of the day had me needing to open my window. I managed to chip away the glue after a good hour of working on it. After the storm, it got clear out. Now there is barely a cloud in the sky. Fresh air fills my room, refreshing everything it touches. For a while, I just stared out into the surrounding area. The forest seems to go on forever. Trees among trees among trees. Snow covers each of them, and I wonder just how many animals decide to make this forest their home. For such a remote location, there are bound to be a few furry or feathered intruders every so often.

As the sun sets, I see a flash of movement along the treeline. Something black appears. Hidden in the branches and brush, I feel it stare at me. I stare back, leaning over to get a better look. Then it disappears. I blink, trying to see where it could have gone. Nothing. Disappeared as fast as it came. And just before I give up to have a nap, something exits from the bush where the thing was standing. I see Toby walking, dragging one hatchet behind him. He leaves a trail of footprints in the deep snow. I wave, trying to catch his attention. But to no avail. Instead, Toby keeps walking, head down before changing course to head to the front door.

I leave my spot from the window to sit on the bed. Listening intently, I hear the front door open.

"How's it look?" EJ asks.

"Good enough."

"Fed your lady friend, she hasn't come out all day."

"'Kay."

The conversation stops. I hear Toby walk and close another door. Most likely in his room. Giving up on talking to him today, I lie in bed. Something sounded off about his voice. He could be tired, stressed, or even angry? Depending on how long he was walking outside, and what happened. He must have been looking for something.

I grab a piece of paper and write on it; 'thanks for the tour'. Though the tour wasn't very thorough, I did appreciate the company. And now I know a little more about the habits of the people living here. I will drop it off under his door when I go out for the night. But for now, I should sleep. Just to pass the time.