25 || Theft

The house is completely dark. A hum of the furnace starts up. I can hear the snoring of the residents from upstairs. Toby, Zero and I walk through the house in socks, leaving our snowy shoes at the door. I take care not to make any unnecessary sounds.

The house we are in is big and open. Curtains cover plentiful windows and leak beams of moonlight through the cracks onto the shiny hardwood floor. It smells like vanilla and lavender from the incense and candles decorating the tables and countertops. Almost immediately, at the entrance is a living room with furniture separating it from the kitchen to the right. I go left with Zero towards the stairs. As we ascend, Toby gets working on looting the pantry with everything he can.

Before everyone split off into their separate directions, an intricate plan was made. Toby, Zero and I would go to the other side of town into the higher income community. Jeff and BEN would go closer to the center of town. That left EJ, Clockwork and Sally to stay near the rendezvous point where we separated into smaller groups. When inside, Zero and I are to kill the residents while Toby loots the kitchen for any food we may need. My team is supposed to focus on grabbing as much food as we can. EJ's team will be focussing on grabbing clothes, bedding, towels, and things of the sort. Jeff and BEN are to grab toiletries and other essential items like batteries or cleaning supplies. Only if any of us have enough room afterwards we can grab anything else we want or that would be useful.

At the top of the stairs, Zero points to two rooms. The doors are decorated with childish decor. One says "No Boys Allowed" while the other says "No Girls Allowed" all in scratchy handwriting and bordered with stickers and drawings that show neither has a future in art. I nod, letting her take those two rooms. If she has no problem killing two kids then I have no problem letting her do it. All that means is that I will have to kill the parents.

I position myself outside the last closed door. Inside there is a man loudly snoring. Chances are he is a deep sleeper, so I should go for the wife first and be as quiet as I can to not disturb the man. Cover her mouth and slit her throat with my axe, that should do it. If the man doesn't wake up then I can take care of him quickly as well. Zero should have no problems getting both kids. But if anything happens, we help each other out. More likely, she will be the one to help me out.

Looking over my shoulder, Zero gives a thumbs up. I crack open the door and peer in. Man on right side and woman to the left. Their bed is against the far wall with two tables on each side. There is a white rug in the middle of the floor. No other furniture, just a walk-in closet to the right and a bathroom to the left. Cannot see any hazards or weapons either could easily reach. Neither looks particularly strong and with me being armed I can probably win in a fight if I need to. Best to act quickly regardless. I'll have to sneak across the room to get to the woman.

I walk slowly through the room. The man continues snoring as I make my way to the left side of the bed. The woman is already on her back, saving me the hassle of moving her to access her neck or change my plan. I raise my axe, holding the handle close to the head. My gloved hand pushes against her mouth as I drag the blade across her neck. She starts to thrash and reach for her neck. Blood spills from the wound. It spurts from the carotids and eventually slows as the heartbeat gets weaker. I focus on her neck, feeling her eyes stare at me pleading to give her mercy. Her hands go limp and fall to her sides. One down, one to go.

Out of the corner of my eye, a rapid movement of a shadowed figure moves towards me. I turn and can barely even react before it slams into me. I get knocked back, hitting the wall and whacking my head against the solid surface. Apparently, this man is not a heavy sleeper after all. He tries to pry the axe from my hands. I snap into survival mode and clear my head from trying to figure out what happened. Thoughts and emotions clear as my vision is covered with a tinge of red. My surroundings slow, allowing me to better watch and react. The familiar feeling of anxiety and paranoia start to crush me. But instead of disabling me, it only makes me more determined.