[26] "Inconsistent"

I RAISE my hand to rake my fingers through my hair in controlled frustration and apparently I moved too fast because Raven does something that makes me regret everything I've done to earn my rep.

She flinches.

Flinches.

Away from me.

I barely stop myself from recoiling in shock and letting all my emotions splay across my face like she does so easily. Instead I just stare. She opens her eyes slowly to see I've parked at our destination.

The drive in movies.

"You really are scared of me," I say, deadpan.

She pauses but opens her mouth to say something.

"I'm not scared of you because of your reputation. I'm nervous because you're the most unpredictable person I have ever met," she says, sighing.

I raise a brow. That was not the answer I expected.

"Everyone sees you this particular way. I hear everyone speak about you in a particular way, but everything I know is always shattered when I see you alone because you act nothing like what they say and what I know you're capable of. I'm not a fool, Archer. I'm not going to try to decipher the rumors or make opinions on what I believe is true because that would have my thoughts tied until I died. I'm a creature of habit and consistency, and you, Archer Cross, are the most inconsistent person ever," she says all in one breath.

I stare as she sits, looking flustered as ever, food resting on her lap and unease written across her whole body.

"I-I'm sorry...I completely overstepped—I didn't mean-"

"I don't want to be 'the person everyone says I am' around you," I say simply.

"I—what?" she says.

"I'm not inconsistent," I say.

"O-okay?" she agrees.

"You make me a different person—a better person," I say.

"You choose who you want to be depending on who you're with," she clarifies.

"No. I am who they say I am, but I'm also the person you see too. Believe me, I don't know what the fuck is going on with me either," I say, confusing myself as I speak.

"I get it...I think," she says.

I glance to my side to look at her and see she doesn't understand but she's letting it go.

"The Fast and Furious is playing...and considering how you know how to drive your little chevy I figured you knew a thing or two?" I say.

She grins at the memory.

"I'd say so...gave you a run for your money," she shrugs.

"Highly doubt that...but I'll let it go for now," I say.

She lightly laughs as I park the car and open my door. She gives me a look because we're parked backwards and not facing the movie screen at all.

"I'll open the trunk, then we can sit back and watch better," I say.

"This definitely isn't his first time doing this," I hear her whisper.

"I used to go with my sister. She was the one who took me here since she was older and could drive. Sometimes we would wait until after everyone had left and sit on the top of the car to watch the sky...she was cheesy like that," I say, sounding way too mushy to my own ears.