[24] "Date Me"

I SAW a certain someone running through the neighborhood, causing me to make a split second decision to go for a spontaneous run. I used to see her almost every day over the summer, running through the streets. At that point in time, I wouldn't have messed with her...but now? My ass is going for a run.

     I throw on some running clothes and slip shoes on before rushing out so I can catch her. I don't play any sports, but I do spend my fair amount of time in the gym.

     When I get close enough to her, I call her name. She's got her earbuds in and I know she blares her music loud, so I'm sure she doesn't hear me. I put a hand on her shoulder, but her whole body jumps as she lets out a scream. As if in slow motion, I see her trip on the uneven sidewalk. I grab her, pulling her back upright and making sure she doesn't fall or hurt herself.

     Not a second later, she turns out of my arms while ripping her earbuds out. She recoils, out of breath. She spins around to look at me, her eyes widening and her shoulders sagging when she realizes who it is.

     "Archer?" she asks, surprise in her voice.

     "Hey," I say.

     She sighs, leaning down to put her hands on her knees. She lets out a laugh devoid of humor, smoothing back her ponytail.

     Then, she stands

     and slaps my chest.

     I step back, a little amused and a little surprised.

     "That's the second freakin time you've scared the life outta me!" she says.

     "You know, I'm trying not to laugh because no offense, but your ineffectual fists can't do anything to me," I say, a smirk on my face.

     "Ineffectual fists? Are you serious?" she says.

     I shrug.

     "You're incorrigible," she says, popping her earbuds in and turning to keep running.

     "Wait, Raven. I meant what I said, you know," I say.

     She pauses, slowly pulling her earbuds out and turning around.

     "Grant confessed his feelings for me. You confess your feelings for me. I'm supposed to go on a date with Kade...I don't know anymore, Archer," she says.

     Grant confessed his feelings for her? Well, it's about damn time. I could've guessed that.

     "There's no pressure, little dove. Take as much time as you need," I say, winking.

     She looks a bit surprised at my gentle manner. Her cheeks redden, and I can tell it's not because she's out of breath. She looks down, trying to hold a small smile back, but letting the ghost of one grace her lips. She looks up at me from under her lashes and goddamn.

     That's when I make another split second decision...and I don't normally make split second decisions.

     "Saturday night-tomorrow, go on a date with me," I say.

     Her eyebrows raise.

     "You wanna go on a date? With me? Like this soon?" she asks, her voice ten times quieter than when she was yelling at me for scaring her.

     "Yeah. I really like you, little dove, but you won't let me. So let me prove it to you," I say, stepping close to her.

     "I-you..." she trails off.

     "Give me a chance, little dove. You won't regret it," I say, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

     "But...you just broke up with Leila," she says.