[28] "I promise"

"YOU'RE AN idiot," Annie slaps the back of my head.

     "What? What'd I do?" I ask, incredulity prominent in my tone.

     "It's what you didn't do, dumbass," she shakes her head.

     I throw the car in reverse and she hits me. Hard. Harder than I feel I deserve. I was nice.

     "Jesus, and I thought you were smart. Put the pieces together fuckhead...she ditched her date...who picked her up...and he's long gone..." she motions with her hands for me to finish her flow.

     And that's when it hits me.

     Before I realize how heavy my foot is, I slam it on the breaks and Annie goes flying.

     "She needs a ride home," I say, more to myself.

     "Ding! Ding! And we have a winner!" Annie says, patronizing the hell out of me.

     I choose not to respond as I pull back into the parking spot and throw the car in park.

"Stay fucking here," I sternly say to Annie as she smirks.

"Aye, aye captain," she says and salutes me.

I roll my eyes at her patronizing and shut my door, scanning the front for Raven. I see her rubbing her arms from the cold and start my walk over. I shrug off my jacket as I approach and she notices me at the sound of my footsteps.

"You need a ride," I say, more of a statement than a question.

"I put out feelers for a ride it's not a big deal," she shrugs me off.

"Here, c'mon," I say and wrap the jacket around her shoulders.

She looks reluctant at first, but quickly huddles into the new warmth. She pulls the jacket tightly around her small shoulders and the thing looks more like a dress than anything. I put a guiding hand on the small of her back and lead her to my car. I'm a bit surprised she hasn't made any other remarks but I don't push since she did just have a shitty date.

I try not to let that make me feel better about my chances but in all reality it does.

"Thank you, Archer. I don't know how, but you always seem to be bailing me out," she says.

"Not a big deal, little dove. Don't thank me before you sit through a car ride with Annie though," I wince.

I forgot about Annie and her loudmouth.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," she laughs at my expression.

"You're 100% speaking too soon," I say as we get to the car.

I open the rear driver's side door for her and she slides in. As I shut the door, Annie gives me the biggest grin and I know we're in for a painstakingly tedious drive.

"Should I move to the back? Half of the couple doesn't need to sit bitch seat," she says, innocent but I see right through it.

"Annie, cut it," I sigh.

"Actually yeah that'd be great," Raven pipes up.

Annie and I whip our heads to look at each other with wide eyes followed by both of us craning our necks to look at Raven. As soon as she sees our faces, she bursts out into a fit of giggles.

"Damn, getting Archer's hopes up just to rip 'em down," Annie laughs.

"I'm driving now. Buckle ur asses up," I say in exasperation and throw the car in reverse.