[20] "There's no Way"

I TOSS my phone onto my bed, mind reeling from Archer and I's moment but more so the fact that I actually got asked out on a date! I flop onto the bed, smiling but trying not to get too excited that Kade asked me out. Last time I thought it went well, but then he completely ghosted me after the first date.

     Gosh it's been such a long time! I'm like a whole new person now...

I look at my keys sitting on my dresser and smile at the fact that my car is now fixed. She was a little pricey but with how fast he got it done I'm not complaining at all. Mr. Fosters was really nice about it too and chatted with me for a while. Today is only Monday but I can't help thinking about what's going to happen on Friday.

I actually got asked out on a date...

I clear my head of the silly hopes and expectations and grab some running clothes. I need to go on a run before I come home and focus on my homework. It was a light day but still I should try to stay caught up. Not to mention there's college applications to worry about as well.

     I lace up my shoes and grab my earbuds and phone before leaving the house. It'll probably be a light day today because part of me really isn't feeling going out on a long run. I sigh, picking my favorite running playlist on Spotify and clicking the ad to get 30 minutes of uninterrupted listening. I begin my jog and settle into my pace once I get up the first hill. I'm right in the middle of "Good Times" by All Time Low when I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. It's Archer's backyard.

     I don't see anything else, but I take out my earbuds to listen for anything. Part of me thinks about just running back to my house and staying inside for the night, but I would feel bad. If Archer's house is getting broken into, that person is probably gonna pay for more than the Cross' lose. Not just in money...

     I carefully make my way closer to the house when I hear yelling and grunting from the back along with a soft thudding sound. Without even thinking, I start to turn around away from the house—except I stop myself. Something serious could actually be going on. My steps pick up and I lightly jog to the back fence.

     "H-hello? Is everything okay back there?" I call.

     I don't want to spook anyone.

     The backyard goes silent and I hear footsteps. I take a few steps back, ready to run at the first sign of trouble. The latch for the gate clicks and I gulp, the situation fully dawning on me.

     Stupid.

     "Never mi-"

     The door opens and Archer emerges from the crack looking a little out of breath, cutting off what I was about to say.

     It's only then that I realize what he was probably doing back there...ew. My face flushes and I feel awkward having interrupted his...session.

     "Uh-Raven?" he asks, surprised to see me.

     "Hey...uh, I heard some noise coming from back here that didn't sound too great but I know now that-"

     "Cross, you idiot," I hear another voice say, but this voice is male.

     I try to peek around Archer, but he shifts so I can't see who or what is behind him. That's when I notice the slight bruise forming on Archer's cheek. I step forward and try to move him but he lets go of the gate and gently puts a hand on my shoulder, silently letting me know I'm not to test him.

     All of a sudden none other than Kade Fosters shoves through the gate, looking disheveled and sporting a cut lip.

     "Whoa what happened?" I ask, taking a step towards both of them.