[32] "Keys"

I pack up my stuff as soon as the bell rings for my last class and thank god Monday is halfway over. I've had minimal sleep and am in desperate need of caffeine. I think about grabbing something from the vending machine when Raven catches my eye.

     She's dressed more conservatively today, but the baggy t-shirt and mom jeans don't hide how pretty she is. Her hair is tied up in a messy bun and I never really noticed how she always used it to cover her face. Now her soft jawline is on display and her earring studs peek out. Everything about her is simply beautiful.

     "Archer, where'd you disappear to this weekend? You basically dipped," Greyson comes up beside me.

     "I was busy," I shrug.

     "Yeah? Doing what? Banging Raven Micheals?" he says, humor devoid in his tone.

     I turn on him and he takes a step back. He glares daggers that I easily return.

     "Watch your mouth," I warn.

     "Everyone and their damn mom may be deathly afraid of you, but you sure as hell know I'm not," he says.

     "Fuck, Greyson. Why are you such a prick?" I push his shoulders and he takes a step back.

     He knows I mean no harm but I see everyone in the hallway watch us with fearful glances and quiet whispers. I steel my expression and people skitter by.

     "You know you can drop the act," Greyson teases.

     "Oh, trust me I know. I raise one hand and people go running," I roll my eyes.

     "I swear they think you're not human or something. Like you're this bomb waiting to go off," he says, looking around at all of our peers.

     "Well, I'm a killer. What can I say?" I shrug and he laughs.

     "Alright seriously though what happened?" he asks.

     "Kade was a prick and I hung out with Raven at my place," I say as Killian, Matt, and the rest of our friends join.

     "Raven went to your place? How'd you get her to get in a car with you much less your house?" Matt asks.

     "My sister actually helped if I'm being completely honest. But she's smart," I respond.

     "Annie is back in town?" Greyson asks.

     "Yeah, her girlfriend didn't work out and she'll be staying at the house until our mom comes back into town," I shrug.

     The guys chat among themselves and I know they realize they're not getting any other information from me about Raven. I've always been a private person. Plus, my relationship with Raven is something special to me and I don't know how much I want to share that with anyone else yet. I don't care if she tells other people about what happened because the more people that know we're serious means less people trying to date her. From my end, I'm not about to go psycho on everyone and get overly possessive. She knows she's mine and that's what I care about.

     As I walk to my car, I spot her in the parking lot. I wouldn't think twice about it, except for the fact that she's in the parking lot with Leila. I can't see much from where I am, but I start heading their way. The students in front of me move and give me a path to see what's happening. A small crowd has gathered and I know Raven's probably uncomfortable. I hear them arguing before I see them.

     "You're seriously calling me the whore?"

     "Who the fuck goes after her sister's ex?"

     "You haven't been a sister to me the second I stepped into that house. Don't pretend we have a code and there are rules now that I have something you want. You make my life miserable, Leila. I'm begging you to let this go and give me something for once."