[6] "You Broke Up"

"SEND ME your location let's focus on communicatin' 'cause I just need the time and place to come through. Send me your location-"

Something banging in the house stops me in my tracks. Panic and anxiety shoot through my veins, making my back go ramrod straight. I freeze, stopping my singing and rushing my way into bed, trying to be as quiet as possible but struggling to hear if I'm actually silent over my pounding heart. I scramble under the sheets and pull the covers up to my chin. I was just finishing up my face and teeth and heading to bed when something shifted downstairs. Of course my cowardly ass just jumps into bed and hopes the potential killer doesn't come in here.

So so stupid.

I squeeze my eyes shut tight, desperately trying to get my brain thinking of solutions instead of spiraling into numbness. I think of my phone, eyes darting around the room to find it, but that's when I remember. Son of a biscuit...I left it downstairs!

My mind works into overdrive and I cling to thin strands of sanity to get my brain firing. Right now it feels like everything is turning to mush. My eyes flick around the dark room, landing on my clock. 2:00am. And of course it has to be late at night with most of the lights off in the house. I panic, searching for something...anything.

It's like grasping at water.

Every solution slips through my fingers and I can't hold on to a single thought.

In a split second decision, I grab the geode paperweight off my desk, settling to use that as my weapon of someone comes into the room. I crawl back into bed, piling my blankets and pillows around me to hide myself better. My breathing picks up as more movement echoes through the house. It's like this guy is trying to taunt me, making as much noise as possible to throw me into a deep-seated panic. My fingers grip the rocky weight in my hand and I sit up to throw.

Of course no one would be home right now. Leila's off at some party with Archer and spending the night with one of her friends. My parents aren't here either because they're taking a trip to Barbados so I'm home a-freakin-lone. Yay for me.

Footsteps creak up the steps and I put a hand over my mouth to keep quiet. I bite my lip, fingers trembling. My hand holding the paperweight shakes and I swallow, my throat working. I pull the blankets over as much of my body as possible, making myself small and resisting the overwhelming urge to squeeze my eyes shut.

The intruder moves down the hall and I can hear heavy footfalls approaching my room. The wood flooring creaks with the attacker's weight and I'm thankful for the audible place marker, but then again every step makes my heart beat faster. The room is silent except for my heavy, quick breathing. I don't take my eyes away from the door, ready for-

The handle shakes.

I almost scream, my heart thumping and mind awake as adrenaline shoots through my system. I gulp in determination, summoning any courage I have in me because I need it now more than ever in this one moment. I bring my arm back, readying myself to launch the paperweight when the door opens and the light turns on. The actions startle me into action and this time I do scream, throwing the cursed thing but wishing I hadn't at the same time.

Because you know who's standing in my doorway?

Archer freaking Cross.

And that's when I scream.

• • •

"Jesus Christ! I'm lucky you're a lousy shot. And can you not scream? It doesn't help," Archer slurs.