[2] "High School"

MY ALARM blares, waking me from my much needed sleep. Archer and Leila were fighting again and kept me up way too freakin late. This time, though, I heard them say my name, whatever that means. I rub the sleep from my eyes and stretch, my back cracking a couple times. I roll out of bed, turning a lamp on that sits on my nightstand and groan as I realize why I'm waking up at this bogus hour.

     High school.

     My eyes flick to the outfit sitting on my dresser. I bite my lip, wondering if I should even wear it. Tighter shirt and skinny jeans? People haven't seen the new me yet, and I'm not sure what people will think. My friends think people, especially guys, will like it, but I'm just not quite convinced.

     I promised my closest friends, Kendra, Tori, and Grant, that I'd be more open to self love, so here I am, putting the outfit on and looking in the mirror. I pair it with some black vans that aren't the high top kind. I sit at the vanity in my room to put some makeup on, not willing to share a bathroom mirror with Leila.

     When I'm satisfied, I head downstairs to grab a quick bite for breakfast. I set my bag down by a chair, ready to grab on my way out the door to my car. If there's one thing I'm extra thankful for from my parents, it's my car. I paid for some of it, but they've picked up the other expenses. It's not much, just a little black Chevy Malibu, but I love it. It gets me everywhere I need it to and it fits enough for a few more people.

     I look at the time, making sure I leave the house before Archer comes to pick Leila up. He's done it ever since they started dating at the end of junior year, and even though they had their fight, I doubt he wouldn't show. Part of me wonders how Leila would ever be brave enough to get in a fight with him, and part of me wonders how she's not afraid to? I'm going to leave a bit early just to make sure I don't bump into either of them. He's going to have to see me at some point, but I'd rather prolong it than have it happen here with Leila with her claws out. Archer's already scary enough—both of them at the same time making my like utterly miserable? Yeah, no thanks.

     Everyone in town thinks Leila's just on borrowed time because it's clear Archer is not a settling down type of guy and he's just not a relationship type. I think with all their fighting, something bad is bound to happen. I mean, Archer's done some pretty horrid things, but it seems like I'm the only one who remembers. Maybe the reason people aren't so sceptic is because they realize what he did was justified? I just don't know...I want to say it's fine because a part of me really thinks so, but then again he has beaten people up before...

     I grab an apple and a granola bar and sit at the counter to check my phone. I scroll through the regular Instagram feed and answer the snaps from Snapchat I missed overnight. I check my texts as well, clicking on the familiar green icon with the white speech bubble that's signature to Apple Messages. There are a few notifications from group chats that I click into and leave without giving a response. Most of it is nonsense sometimes and not even all of them are close enough to be called friends. Yeah, I know everyone in the group, but that doesn't mean we talk much outside of class.

     My other texts are from Grant, Tori, and Kendra. I click Kendra's first, reminded of the first day of high school when we met. She stood up to Leila when she was carrying out her regular mean activities. We've been best friends every since.

hey bitchhh ready for day one?

     I groan.

heck no

     A reply comes soon after.

wanna skip?

...you know i can't. i don't think i've ever skipped school. plus it's a friday so just be glad for that. i swear it's the only thing keeping me from skipping