[12] "Almost Cute"

I SEE Raven getting soaked in the rain and staring at the closed (and I'm sure) locked door, holding my hoodie that I'd forgotten. I see her shoulders drop and her head hang. Leila seriously locked her out for trying to give me my hoodie? I shake my head, pulling the rest of the way into the driveway and rolling down the passenger side window to make a probably stupid decision.

     So many things could go wrong, but I guess I'm willing to take that chance. I'm just hoping I don't do something I don't intend to do...with Raven I don't know anymore.

     "Hey, c'mon!" I yell.

     She looks over, not moving. I can practically see the gears turning in her head as she debates whether or not to come to my car. My face hardens as she still struggles with her fear of me. I knew she was shy, hell dating Leila showed just how shy and timid she is. Leila would walk all over her, but she'd take it without a word just to avoid more attention.

     Raven makes her decision as she jogs over my Range Rover. She comes over to the open window, dripping wet from the rain now. She bites her lip, not making eye contact as she tries to pass the sweatshirt to me through the window. I push it back out.

     "Just get in. Leila's not letting you in any time soon," I say, dryly.

     She looks down at her feet, fidgeting with the hoodie that's now soaked worse than when I came over in the beginning.

     "I-I can't," she says, so quiet I almost don't hear her.

    Is she really that scared of me? I mean she's flighty, I know that, but she's also smart--I guess that could make her turn either way.

     "It's fine. I'm offering," I say, gesturing for her to open the door.

     "No...it's the seats. I'll just get them wet," she says, looking anywhere but at me.

     Ah, I see now.

     I unbuckle and step out of the car, walking around to where she is by the passenger side. She stumbles back to get out of my way and to make space. I noticed she did the exact same thing when I came inside and we were in the foyer. I open the passenger side door, gesturing for her to get in. She steps back, her anxiety I'm sure skyrocketing as she's now cornered to make a decision.

     "I-uh..." she trails off, unconsciously bringing her hands and the hoodie up as if to shield her.

     I gently take the sweatshirt from her, her hands letting go to fiddle with the hem of her sweater. I plop the now-wet sweatshirt on the seat of my car, hearing a little gasp from her. Her eyes widen and she almost reaches out, but pulls back.

     "Get in," I say, proving my point.

     She nods, stepping in and me closing the door behind her. I walk around the front to the other side, knowing I'll have to dry the leather and take care of it later. I get in and shut the car door, putting the car in reverse and backing out of the driveway.

     Now it's just me and Raven...in the car...alone.

     I see Raven beside me, hands fiddling in her lap and her eyes glued to the scenery outside or her hands. Her body sticks to the door, the farthest she can get away from me without being too noticeable.

But I can tell.

     She's petrified of me.

     And I almost can't blame her as I know what they say about me.

     But still.

     Kinda irritates me nonetheless.

     "Thank you," she says, barely loud enough for me to hear.