Part 23

Her peach hooves never faltered as she tore down the mountain. Nibbles held her head up and her ears cupped forward. She could not believe what she witnessed. It was as if she was trapped in a dream but could never move fast enough. Flower and Chocolate tenderly followed. The two mares were equally as mortified as Nibbles was.

Nibbles reached the base of the mountain as the stallions returned from their battle. Her chest heaved in and out liberally. There was only one thing she wanted to know. She had to see if her brother was all right.

All of the stallions were huddled in a group. They parted ways to greet the mares who stood, waiting patiently to hear the news. Even Sparkle and Willow had emerged into the sunlight and had gathered with the others. Nibbles caught her breath and streamed through the horses. She was almost to Allyoop when Jacob stepped in front of her with his ears flat back and his lips taut with concern. She raised her eyes to meet his gaze.

"What happened?" Nibbles asked. "You guys were doing fine!"

Jacob turned his head and lowered his eyes. "We aren't good enough to defend our home, or even each other," Jacob said.

Nibbles shook her head and got closer in Jacob's space. "The only thing you couldn't do was run them off! I saw how you and Sham bravely rescued the other stallions. If it weren't for you, someone might have been killed."

Their eyes never wavered as they once again looked at each other. Jacob released a gentle sigh. He nodded and offered a smile. His brown eyes were beginning to light up again, and she soon found herself smiling with him. She lowered her head at last as Allyoop approached them. The brown stallion was limping heavily, but he seemed all right.

"I told you to stay away from him!" Nibbles said.

Allyoop smiled. "Did you see how I fought him? I almost stood a chance!"

"You could have been killed!"

Allyoop dropped his bottom lip in a pout and inspected his sister. "How come you didn't come rescue me? If you had been there, we would have won indefinitely!"

Nods and grunts lifted from other horses around them. Now that they all knew her capabilities, they seemed to want her to use her skills. They were obviously disappointed that she had not rushed into battle with them. She sighed deeply and looked about.

"Look, I made a promise to both sides not to fight," Nibbles explained. "I know all of you are aware of Jake's rampage here. He came to warn me not to go out on the battlefield. I believe all of you should be aware of our predicament. Jake is strong enough to waltz right in here and tell us what to do!"

Gasps lifted from everyone's lips. Sparkle cleared her throat as she moved closer to the white mare. "I am sending Sham to retrieve Nikeo and his herd. We are going to require assistance because of how many of you are injured and Nibbles choosing to be out of commission."

Nibbles shook her head. "Forgive me, Sparkle, but I am no longer going to be standing on the side lines. If we are going to stay safe, we have to drive them far back into the mountains, and to do that, we are going to need every available horse."

Sparkle nodded over at Sham, who was beaming with delight. "I knew there was something special about you, Nibbles!" Sham said.

The white mare grinned and then looked back at her brother, who nodded up at her. Heads bobbed throughout the crowd as they gathered closer. They were down, but far from out.

"I think I want to fight alongside you guys," Flower said meekly.

Chocolate nodded. "I do too!"

Sparkle and Nibbles both shook their heads at the same time. Noticing each other's movement, they both turned to inspect the other. Sparkle dipped her head graciously, allowing Nibbles to be the first to speak her point.