Part 9

Nibbles swallowed hard. She was fuming with anger, but there was nothing more she could do. Jacob had his mind made up about Chocolate.

"Chocolate is a White!" Nibbles insisted. "Someone was with her the entire time! She couldn't have sneaked out to report our plans to the Blacks!"

Everyone was gathered in the leader's cave. Sparkle and Willow were listening quietly while Jacob and Nibbles argued with each other.

"You are blinded by your kindness," Jacob concluded. "Everyone else can see that this Brownie has chosen to go against us. There is no other explanation."

Nibbles huffed loudly. "You're not listening to me! When we were at the water hole, I detected another horse. They were the ones who discovered our plan!"

Jacob shook his head. "Why didn't you say anything before, then? None of us are calling you a liar, Nibbles. I trust you more than anyone, but Chocolate has to leave!"

Nibbles stood defiantly. She had never had a friend before, and the mares here were undoubtedly behind her, but Jacob was being completely irrational. She was not going to send a helpless mare out on her own.

Sparkle sighed deeply and cleared her throat, which quieted the crowds. "It is still too early to say whether Chocolate is loyal or not. We are all going to give her a week to determine her innocence. We are not going to act on one incident alone," the large mare warned. "Everyone should treat her like part of the herd until this matter is cleared up!"

Nibbles swung her head around and gave Chocolate a reassuring smile. She was going to prove that they were both trustworthy.

"That's rediculous," Jacob spat.

Nibbles glared at him. She moved right to his face. Their noses were almost touching. She lowered her voice so that only he could hear. "You are an insensitive stallion whose mind is clouded by pride. Stop being so shallow and look at the heart!" With those cold words, Nibbles spun around and stalked off.

Jacob stood behind her in bewilderment. She could see him behind her with his mouth partly ajar. It pleased her to know that she had struck the right chord.

Flower instantly fell at Nibbles' side. There was a concerned look in her eye. Nibbles swung her head around to face her friend.

"I know you're right about Chocolate, but I think there is something you don't understand. We have been taught to question them since we were born. Even Sparkle and Willow are somewhat blinded by their heritage. You can't expect all of us to ignore colour like you," Flower explained softly.

Nibbles nodded her head. "I think I'm slowly starting to realize why this war has been going on for as long as it has. Unfamiliarity can do great damage to one's mind."

Flower tilted her head. "How come you have such a different look on life than us? Why are you strong and decisive?"

Nibbles spurted out a laugh. "I don't know," she replied.

The two mares turned back to Chocolate, who was following them with their heads hung low.

"Come on," Nibbles instructed. "Don't be sad by what happened. You'll be fine!"

Chocolate nodded solemnly. "I suppose I should thank you for standing up for me. No one has ever done that before. How do you know that I am not a traitor?"

Nibbles stopped. "I guess I have keen senses for stuff like that."

Chocolate appeared greatly distressed as the three of them headed towards the fields. Nibbles was unsure of how to help her friend. Her heart had once again been broken.