Part 20

A breeze tussled with Jake's mane, but he did not dare to swipe it back. He was across from his arch enemy. Jacob had been training hard. There was no doubt that if they fought, it would be a difficult battle.

"What do you think you're doing here?" Jacob demanded. "This is our territory. You must be a real idiot to get this lost!"

Jake gulped and then smiled. He could not help himself. Somehow when he was standing before this White horse his strength doubled. "I am actually here to make sure someone stays out of our way! If you really want to protect that white mare, you should keep her off of the battle field!"

Jacob tossed his mane and sneered. "She has a will of her own, and you know it! Stay away from my herd, and especially Nibbles!"

The black stallion stared Jacob directly in the eye. It was not a void threat. He was pumped up and ready to kill him. Jake measured his own strength quickly. It was that morning that he had been badly defeated by Nibbles. She had done a number on his ribs, but he guessed that they were only a small hindrance.

"My father is not going to let this one go," Jake insisted.

Levelling his eyes, Jacob nodded. "It almost sounds as if you are concerned about her! Guess what, dummy? She is a pure white mare with no interest in a Black like you!"

Jake closed his eyes and sighed. "She and that brown stallion are siblings. That means that she has to have darkness in her bloodline somewhere. A mare that can fight has got to have some pretty big secrets if you ask me. Look into her eyes! They are waves of emotion and depth. I don't think she is as innocent as you believe!"

Jacob lunged with fierce anger. The two stallions kicked out. They both connected with flesh. The white stallion's hit sent Jake spinning around. They turned to face off against each other once again.

As Jake suspected, it was going to be difficult to get away. He moved around and snapped a kick on Jacob's shoulder. The white stallion let out a growl and then went to return the favour. Jake dodged skillfuly.

The two horses manoeuvred effortlessly for quite some time. Jake had to wonder if someone was going to eventually show up.

Jake wheeled around for a good bite. Jacob slipped underneath and went for a kick. The black stallion recalled Nibbles doing the same thing. He leaped out of the way and snorted roughly.

"Did Nibbles teach you that move?" Jake questioned.

Jacob appeared greatly confused. "How would you know how she fought?"

His heart raced as Jake lifted his ears. "I fought with her this morning," he explained. "I have had duels with her before, too! I told you that she was hiding things!"

The white stallion charged forward with steady breaths. Jake could tell immediately that he was no longer angry, but had his eyes locked on his target. He was going to fight with even more ferocious strength. Jake wheeled and kicked out with his hind legs as Jacob passed him. The white horse manoeuvred around the attack and sent out a front hoof. It collided with Jake's own leg.

Both stallions went after each other again and again. Jake could feel his boggled mind begin to calm down. It seemed that everything faded except for the white horse before him. They battled with great ferocity, as if neither of them felt emotion. The skill with which they fought was in a league of its own. No one else would have witnessed something as dangerous.

Nibbles stepped out into the clearing and stared blankly at the horses. Neither stallion seemed to notice her even though she stood boldly before them. Jake finally caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of his eye. He watched as she stalked towards him. His strength grew and he knocked Jacob onto the ground with one shove. The white stallion did not rise.