Part 28

Jake's head throbbed. He had duelled against Nikeo, and had won by luck alone. The huge white stallion was a veteran war horse and had taken forever to defeat, but Jake could not have let him go. He had taken out Maces Pride and was about to kill him.

The moment he was finished, he had raced to locate Nibbles. He was hardly surprised to find her injured, but he did not expect the brown horse to hold his own against Night Singer. The image in front of him was nearly too much to handle.

Nibbles was beside him now, her strength seeping into him. How she could stand at all was a mystery. In her condition, she should have been passed out on the battlefield.

Night Singer swung his head and aimed his gaze on the two horses in front of him. Jake knew it had to be a sight. A black and white horse side by side, standing in his way.

"What do you think you're doing?" Night Singer said between gritted teeth.

Jake raised his head and dared to move forward a step. "I'm ending this war! Get out of my way!"

Night Singer lifted his tail, a direct challenge. "If you let me kill the white mare, I will leave with my herd."

Jake's heart pounded. How dare his brother propose such a thing! He stomped a hoof and widened his stance. "You'll have to go through me before you can lay a hoof on her!"

Night Singer rocketed forward. Allyoop slammed into his side, nearly toppling the rampaging horse.

"Don't touch either of them!" Allyoop said. His chest heaved in and out.

Jake was surprised by the brown stallion's words. He was going to protect them both and not only his sister. Jake wondered if the brown horse knew of his plans to merge the two sides.

"What makes you think you can stop me?" Night Singer asked.

Allyoop glanced back at them. "I learned from the best!"

The large black stallion sent forth several dangerous attacks, and Allyoop dodged and blocked. He was doing more than hold his own against Night Singer. He was wearing him down!

Jake knew that there was no sense in moving Nibbles now. She was in danger no matter where she went. As he promised, Jake was going to stop his brother.

Racing forward, Jake slammed into Night Singer. His brother crashed onto the dirt, rolled, and rose again to face both opponents.

"What is the meaning of this?" Night Singer asked."

"There is no point to all of this fighting," Jake replied.

Night Singer flattened his ears. "The goal is to eradicate the Whites!"

Jake sent a warm smile back at Nibbles. "They are not as bad as you think."

"She's poisoned your mind!"

The two brothers stared at each other for quite some time. Allyoop took the opportunity to catch his breath.

"It was you who rendered me unconscious and left me to die!" Night Singer said.

Jake held an unwavering gaze. He felt Nibbles move up a step to stand beside him. Jake could not explain the new feelings inside of him. Even when Raven had stood up for him, he had not felt as powerful and strong.

"Get out while you still can," Jake ordered.

Night Singer crashed forward and threw Allyoop to the side. The brown stallion regained his balance and once again stood in between the brothers.

Nibbles began to shake beside him. Jake glanced down at her. She held a strong look in her stance even though her eyes betrayed the pain she must have felt.