Part 19

She had sensed Jacob's hard hoof beats the moment they were headed in her direction. Nibbles beamed brightly at her brother and the white stallion. She was truly happy to have them by her side. She could finally relax and breathe deeply.

"Are you alright?" Allyoop demanded. "You look like you've been in a fight!'

Nibbles shook her mane and sighed. "Everything's fine now that I'm home! Thank you for coming to get me."

Jacob glanced back at the water hole. For a moment Nibbles wondered if he had picked up on Jake, but the white stallion only yawned and continued forward with the others. Both stallions appeared relaxed and comfortable. The white stallion eyed Nibbles as she fell into step beside him. There was a bend in his ears as if something was bothering him.

All of the White horses were lined up at the opening to the valley. Sparkle and Willow were standing behind everyone with long flowing white manes trailing from their necks. It was a sight Nibbles had never expected to be touched by. Even a few weeks ago, she would have had no idea that she would care about an entire herd of horses with such passion.

Sparkle slipped through the crowds. The sunshine lit up her back and her eyes sparkled with sudden blue flecks. She was an image of beauty as the mare approached Nibbles. She slung her head over the little white mare and pulled her close.

"I'm sorry it took so long for me to come home," Nibbles whispered, "But I'm pleased that everyone else is all right!"

The leader backed up to eye Nibbles proudly. "I knew that you would have the strength to return home. We were all quite alarmed when we learned that you had been captured, and every horse before you was prepared to storm in, including the mares!"

Nibbles chuckled to herself. She could not believe how blessed she was. She swung her head around to inspect her brother. There was sweat dampening his coat, but he seemed content to be with the others. She hoped that she would get a chance to speak with him alone. There was not one horse she could confide in about Jake except for Allyoop.

A gust of wind covered the valley of Whites. Everyone held smiles in their eyes as they welcomed Nibbles back. They all took their turns to greet her as she moved through them.

"It must have been terrifying," Cheyanne said.

"I'll bet they were all terribly rough!" Spring assumed.

Heartia shook her head in disbelief. "We are glad to have you back for chores! No one does as good a job as you!"

"If they hurt you, we will certainly go over and beat them up!" Sham exclaimed boldly.

Nibbles gave a little laugh. "I am fine everyone. Forgive me for being caught so easily! It won't happen again!"

Silence covered the herd. Nibbles wondered if she had said something wrong, but then she realized that everyone was nodding with understanding, as if they already knew.

Jacob slipped closer to Nibbles and snorted. "I will escort you to the caves, where you are to rest for at least three days!"

The white mare laughed heartily. "Thank you, I would appreciate that!" She remained close to his side as the two of them headed to the caves. Jacob stood at the entrance as Nibbles sauntered a few steps into the cool, calming shade.

"I want you to know that I am truly sorry that I could not protect you," Jacob said quietly. "I understand if your view of me has changed."

Nibbles dropped her jaw in astonishment. She had never heard him apologize to anyone. He was standing in the entrance with a new, stronger look to him.