Part 6

The herd of Whites were gathered at a rock table. Everyone was eating the grains that Nibbles and Allyoop had gathered. It had not taken them long as Allyoop seemed to be an expert at collecting.

Flower purposefully moved in close to Nibbles on one side, and Allyoop pressed against her flank on the other side. At first Nibbles was confused by their behaviour, but then she laid eyes on Jacob, who was trying to speak to her. He eventually gave up and went directly across.

"Where have you been this whole time, Nibbles? I wanted to invite you to eat by me!" Jacob called.

Sparkle and Willow were at the head of the table. They turned their heads and rolled their eyes to show their disapproval to the lead white stallion. Nibbles only laughed.

"Maybe another time, Jacob. You're head is a little too large for me right now!"

The other horses died down to silence. Nibbles clasped her mouth shut and closed her eyes. She had no idea why those words had come out of her mouth. Surely she was in trouble now!

Jacob laughed heartily. "I like you! You're quick on your hooves, and mysterious! You have Flower stuck to you like glue and a Brownie for a friend!"

Nibbles glared harshly. "He defeated Jake today and you know it!"

Once again the cave became silent as everyone listened to the conversation. The leaders cleared their throats, sensing that the conversation was getting out of hand.

"Allyoop fought bravely with the herd today and Jacob is going to specially train him, right, Son?" Sparkle pressed. She lowered her head to eye him with her large brown eyes.

Jacob bobbed his head up and down. "Of course I will, Nibbles! You have no need to fear. Your friend is in good hooves!"

Nibbles lowered her sleek neck and took a bite of the grain between her lips. "I appreciate your willingness to work with him!"

There was a slight roll of Jacob's eyes, but he really did not seem to mind helping Allyoop if he could get Nibbles' attention. She smirked to herself while the horses around her munched happily.

Soft conversation blew through the room, but no one seemed too eager to tell any big stories. Although she was now in a herd, with her brother beside her, Nibbles longed for the silence of the mountains.

"Nibbles, you picked some great grain," Flower stated.

The white mare lifted her head proudly and nodded in thanks. A few snorts lifted from around the table to show that other horses were in agreement.

The rest of the grain was quickly gobbled up as the herd of Whites prepared for a night of rest. Sirocco, the orang paint offered to collect water for the night. Phantom offered to go with him as he flipped his white mane over his forelock.

Nibbles also decided that she would tag along so that she would know what to do. She watched as both stallions put on a woven band onto their backs which turned into two baskets which hung on their sides. It would hold an excellent amount of water, but it also would be heavy.

The three of them set off through the camp and into the clearing where the battles took place.

It was easy to see the fire from the Black side across the way. Nibbles could not help but feel curious as to what life over there was like. She quickly returned her attention to Phantom and Sirocco, who were jabbering about beating the Blacks once and for all.

"You seem like a mare who would be good at stoking a fire," Sirocco said bluntly.

Nibbles replied with a laugh. "I have never made a fire in my life, and it puts me on edge! My mother died in a forest fire two years ago."