Part 24

Jake eyed the mare before him carefully. He glanced back over his shoulder. If someone caught them now, his whole life would be ruined. They already suspected that this white beauty had him wrapped around her hoof. He hated to admit that in some twisted way they were right.

"Please tell me what happened," Nibbles said. She gulped as her eyes flashed with realization.

Her eyes were brimming with knowledge, but he could not figure out what exactly she knew. Her presence alone was getting under his skin. Why was she so good at reading him and picking up on what was going on in his life?

"It has something to do with not killing me earlier, and my brother this morning, doesn't it?" Nibbles stretched out her neck and gave him a look of pity.

Jake's stomach soured. She was once again correct. The slight nod of his head revealed that. He backed up a few steps and once again scanned the area. He could not get caught no matter what, and this mare could not be trusted. She might be plotting against him somehow.

Her head lowered. "I don't quite understand why it was such a big deal, but thank-you for listening to my cry."

It was all he had in him to keep from losing his cool. "How do you not understand? Haven't you learned anything from being in a herd?"

Nibbles replied with blinking eyes. There was mystery locked in her gaze, and he could tell that she was hiding something. Jake searched the area around them once more. He focused harder on the mare in front of him, but she stood silently. His body began to shake. He could not believe how aggravated he was, and yet her gentle demeanour in that moment was strangely soothing.

Jake smoothed his voice and softened the irritated look in his eyes. "Where have you come from?" Jake asked.

Her ears twitched and her hoof lifted with uncertainty. Jake moved closer to her, unsure of what had caused such a reaction. Everything about her was confident and strong, but her lack of knowledge about herd culture had thrown both of them off guard.

"I only came to see what was going on," Nibbles asserted.

He could tell that the white mare was partially speaking to herself. He snorted lightly. Her sudden unease somehow empowered him. He stepped closer to her. She maintained a steady gaze with him as her eyes blazed. Her body was perfectly still as he neared. There was not a hint of fear in her stance.

Jake suddenly laughed. "Why can't I figure you out," he admitted. "You are too smart for your own good. I have made a great effort to become a mighty Black leader, and yet you have seen directly into my heart. Why did you come here? It wasn't only to see what was going on. You've seen how I can fight, and you've seen how strong our leaders are. It is far too risky to come, but yet you stand here before me, unwavering.

She blinked and cupped her ears forward. To his surprise, Nibbles was silent, and it made him continue.

"In the face of danger, you stand as sturdy as a mountain, but my simple question about your past causes emotion to swirl in your eyes."

Nibbles gazed deep into Jake's pupils. They were nose to nose within minutes, and neither of them moved a muscle. Her breaths were steady, yet quick. She was reading him again. Jake could tell that she was sizing him up and plotting her next move. He let a smirk cross his muzzle. Whatever happened, he would be ready.

"I'm a Free Runner," Nibbles finally whispered.

Jake's jaw dropped. He had not been prepared for that. His perusal intensified as he studied her closely. There was no deception in her eyes. This mystery of a mare was only becoming more puzzling. If she was being honest, and he was pretty sure she was, than Jake had found a legendary horse capable of giving him answers to his deepest questions.