"So, what's your number?"

I groaned, as I tried, and failed, to drown out the loud music blaring from the living room, where my roommate, and best friend, Kate, was seated, practicing for her upcoming guitar exam.

This was a common occurrence, so most people would assume I'd have gotten used to working in the noise-- Wrong.

Being a journalism major, and having a roommate who studies music doesn't mesh very well, but we somehow manage to make it work. In other words, I would leave and go to the library to get my work done.

I got up from my desk, grabbing my laptop and purse, and walked out of my room. "Kate!" I yelled over the music, attempting to get her attention. She seemed surprised as she glanced up from her music sheets, before she sheepishly grinned, and lowered the volume of her guitar.

"Sorry, was I too loud?" I shrugged in response. "Yeah, but don't worry about it. I'm going to grab a coffee and then head to the library. I've barely started working on this assignment yet, and I need to submit it by tomorrow, so the peace and quiet should help," I confessed.

"I thought you had journalism in like, I don't know, the latter half of the day?" Kate raised a brow. "Yeah, but I'd rather stay up late and finish it right now, instead of waking up early."

"Makes sense. Are you sure you wanna go though? I can reduce the volume if you want," Kate offered. "No it's cool. I need coffee anyway. I've got a long night ahead of me," I admitted.

"Your caffeine addiction is worrisome, but okay, if you're sure. And you're only going to have to bear with me for a couple more days- My exams end on Friday," she offered me words of comfort.

"As if thats going to stop you from playing your guitar," I snorted. "Yeah, yeah," Kate rolled her eyes, smiling. I chuckled, as I waved goodbye, and exited our dorm room.

Not even seconds after I'd closed our door, I could hear her music on full blast. I shook my head at her in amusement. It was a surprise that people in dorms near us hadn't filed complaints.

I glanced at my phone, and noted that it was already 6:30pm. The library closed at 9pm-- not that I had to worry about Mrs Winters allowing me to stay after hours. I sometimes took shifts at the library when she was away, so thankfully, she trusted me with the keys to the library.

I made my way off campus, and chose to walk to the cafe, which was barely 10 minutes away, rather than going through the trouble of taking my car.

I entered the coffee shop and made my way to the counter to order.

"The usual?" Elijah, one of the employees, who knew me as a regular customer, asked. "Yup. And I'll have it to go, please." He nodded, and I thanked him, before seating myself at a table, as I waited for my Espresso.

I pulled out my phone, and scanned through my texts. I responded to a couple, before my name was called, to go and collect my drink.

I thanked the barista who handed it to me, and then left for the library, which was, lucky for me, directly opposite the cafe.

"Hey, Mrs. Winters!" I said cheerily, as I swung open the door and spotted the rosy cheeked lady at the front desk. "Hazel! How wonderful to see you!" She smiled warmly. "How's college going?" She asked me, as I took a sip of my coffee. "It's going," I grimaced. She chuckled in response. "You're here because of roommate troubles, I presume?" She raised an eyebrow.

She was aware of the complications Kate and I had when it came to our school work, and was always welcoming. "You know it. Kate's got an exam coming up, so she's practicing like crazy," I explained. "Also, would it be too much of a bother if I stayed after hours. I really have to work on this assignment, and need to submit it by tomorrow," I grumbled.