Spooks and scares

"Okay, so that's a touchdown. Are we done now?" I asked, for the umpteenth time.

"Yup," Alex grinned.

"Wait, seriously?" I raised my eyebrows, hoping he wasn't kidding. He nodded in confirmation.

"Finally! Thank you so much!" I squealed, momentarily forgetting we were at a library.

Mrs. Winters glanced our way, and shook her head, but was thankfully smiling. I shot her a sheepish grin, before whispering. "Thank you."

"No worries. I'm always down to geek about football with someone."

"No offence, but I really hope I don't ever have to geek about football with you again. Or anyone, for that matter," I grumbled, at which he laughed.

I glanced back down at my notebook, where I had scribbled notes about football, and Alex had drawn diagrams as an attempt to explain the process. "You're pretty good at drawing, huh?" I questioned, pointing at one of his sketches.

He looked slightly embarrassed at my comment. "No, not really. These are just rough sketches," he shrugged.

"Yeah, and they're good! Do you draw or something?" I edged him. "Not really," he repeated, refusing to make eye contact.

"You're a terrible liar. Can I see?" I tilted my head, and smiled.

He muttered something under his breath, before retrieving his phone from his pocket. "You can't tell anyone," he warned me, narrowing his eyes.

"I talk to like two people," I shot back, which he snorted at.

"But why?" My curiosity needed the details.

"I don't know. It's embarrassing," he shrugged.

"Why is it embarrassing?" I raised an eyebrow.

He didn't reply, and instead continued to scroll through his gallery, before he finally clicked on a picture, and turned his phone towards me.

I gasped, purely out of surprise. "Holy smokes, that's insane." It was a painting of what I think was Venice, which looked scarily realistic.

"It isn't much. I was just messing around," he modestly replied.

"Jesus, dude. I would kill to be able to paint like this." I was certain my eyes were as wide as saucers.

"Thanks," he muttered, his face burning, as turning his phone away from me.

It was evident that he was uncomfortable with my praises, so I decided to shut up.

"Anyways, are you busy tonight?" He changed the subject, as he locked his phone and placed it on the table.

"Huh? Me?" I was taken by surprise.

"No, your mom," he glared at me.

"Oh wait, yeah, I am. No, as in, no, I'm not busy. Why?" I cringed at my stuttering, which Alex seemingly found amusing.

"Well, Halloween's tomorrow, so Ethan, you remember him, right?" I nodded. "Well, he's throwing a party, so do you wanna go?"

"As in...with you?" I trailed, knowing I sounded stupid.

Alex faltered at my question. "Um, you can bring your friend. Kate, right? And Aaron would be there."

"Oh, cool. I'll think about it. Can I text you later?"

"Yeah, sure." He nodded.

There was a moment of silence, and before it could get too awkward, I spoke up.

"So, I should probably head back home now. Gotta, you know, go over these notes," I lamely waved my notebook.

"Yeah, no worries. This was fun," he grinned cheekily, knowing fully well I hadn't found it fun at all.

"Yeah! I love football! My favourite sport ever!" I sarcastically replied, getting a chuckle out of him.

"Anyways, I'll text you about the party later. Thanks again for doing this."

"Don't worry about it."

"And if you're ever in a sharing mood, please send me more pictures of your paintings," I threw that out there, as I got up from my chair.

"If you come tonight, I'll send you one tomorrow," he bargained.

"Well shit. I'm holding you to that," I held out my hand.

"It's a deal," he shook it.

"Great, well, either I'll see you tonight, or on the football field," I sighed.

"Yup, see you. I've got to find a book for an assignment, so I'm going to hang around here for a while. You have your car, right?"

"Yeah. Good luck with your assignment, and thanks again."

"Don't mention it."

•••
HALLOWEEN SPECIAL PT 1 woohoo
i'll try to get part 2 up by wednesday 😋

happy halloween! and if u don't celebrate, then happy last day of october :)

also this is what i imagined alex to have painted