Coaches and conversations

"This is fate. You can't even argue," Kate gushed, once I told her the exciting news about my journalism project.

"No. It's a curse. I even told him that I'd interviewed the football team previously, and he still didn't budge, because apparently if he lets one person change their topic, it would be unfair for the rest. What sense does that make!" I grumbled, as I lay sprawled on my bed.

"I mean, it does make a lot of sense, if you think about it," Kate countered, shrugging.

"Why are you choosing right now to be practical," I glared at Kate.

"Okay, sorry. It makes no sense at all. He hates women!" She exclaimed, mockingly.

I sat up halfway, and glared at her, before lying back down. "You know what, it's fine. It isn't that big of a deal. I've done it before, surely I can do it again," I said, trying to convince myself, more than anyone else.

"Well, yeah, except now we know that Mr Quarterback has the hots for you," Kate snorted.

"Firstly, he doesn't. Secondly, never use the term 'the hots', again," I told her.

"What's the big deal anyway?" Kate questioned.

"Kate! What don't you get! People were literally talking about us getting into the car together. I don't need, nor want, that attention. Besides, I'm going to have to actually attend their games, as well as their practices, and have you seen the amount they practice?" I grumbled.

"Hey, look on the bright side. You can ogle at all the hot guys, without them noticing. Not wanting to be in a relationship doesn't mean you can't look," she pointed out.

"Well, yeah, I guess. So, are you in the mood to walk over to the Coach's office? I need the schedule for their practices and games and everything," I sighed.

"I totally would be, if it weren't for the fact that I have class in precisely 5 minutes, and there's no way I'm getting there on time if I do join you," she stretched, as she got up from where she was sitting on my bed.

"Well, I guess Hazel's doing this on her own then," I pouted.

"I'm truly honoured that you consider me to be your only friend," Kate said sarcastically.

"Well, you're right here. I'm not going to drag someone out of their room to walk with me to the office," I retorted.

"Fair, fair. I'll see you later then. It's time to learn about the beauty of organisms," Kate rolled her eyes. I chuckled, and waved her off.

Once I heard the door close, I rolled off of my bed, and got out of the jeans and t-shirt I'd worn all day, and put on a hoodie, paired with track pants instead.

I grabbed my phone and keys from my nightstand, and left to go the coach's office.

It was about a 5 minutes walk from my dorm to his office, so I didn't bother carrying my earphones to play music as I walked.

Finally, I got to his office, and reluctantly knocked on his door. No response. I knocked again. Still no response. Frowning, I tentatively opened the door, and because my luck is the way it is, the office was empty.

I groaned, realising this meant two things. Either I'd missed the coach, and he'd already left, or he was on the field, which meant the entire team would be there as well.

I contemplated going back to my dorm, and coming back tomorrow instead, but gave in, and told myself I would be shadowing the team anyway, so what difference did it make if it was sooner, rather than later.

Grudgingly, I left the office, and made my way to the field, which wasn't too far off. Sure enough, I could see a bunch of guys, which I'm assuming is the team, huddled up on one side.