Closed and confused

"This is pointless." I let out a frustrated sigh, as I clicked off the third youtube video in the past half an hour. I'd been trying to understand football through them, and as of now, all I knew was that there was something known as a touchdown, which, even so, I could barely explain.

"Just text him, instead of waiting for him to text you," Kate suggested, to which I vigorously shook my head. "That would just seem desperate. He said he'd text me. I don't want to hound him," I sighed.

"You don't seem to have a problem hounding me," she complained. "Yeah, because you're you. I barely know the dude," I argued.

"Sure you do. You've seen plenty of him around."

"Maybe, but I still don't know him. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to tell you his favourite colour," I pointed out. Kate shrugged, and I knew I made sense.

"I, for one, am sick of hearing your stupid videos go on and on," she changed the subject.

"I'm wearing headphones And you're the one who decided to lounge in my room." I gave her a pointed look. "Yeah, so we could hang out. I didn't think you'd be watching football videos for so long. It would would be so much faster if you just texted him!" Kate shot me an exasperated look.

"No. I can do this myself," I replied, before pressing play on yet another video, and drowning out Kate's complaints.

I was about 3 minutes into the video when my phone pinged. I told myself I would watch the video with full focus and no distractions, but curiosity got the better of me, and i glanced at the notification.

"The universe loves me!" I squealed, taking Kate by surprise.

"Didn't know you held me at such high standards," she snorted, proud of her joke.

I glared at her. "Alex texted me, actually."

"You're telling me you're squealing because a boy texted you? Who are you, and what have you done with my best friend?"

"No. I'm squealing because he's offered to meet me at the cafe across the library to help me understand football," I corrected her, as I replied back, saying I would be able to make it.

"Why must you always focus on the details?" Kate dramatically sighed.

"Why must you always overlook them?" I mocked her.

"Screw you. When are you going to meet him?" She questioned.

"In 5 minutes. I should probably get going," I replied.

"You're going...wearing that?" The judgment was dripping. "It's sweats and a hoodie! What's wrong with that!" I was always ready to defend my comfy clothes.

"You're going on a semi date with Alex Carter. Wearing the same clothes I'm certain you've slept in before," Kate emphasised.

"It isn't a semi date, and I'm not going to impress him. Besides, learning about football is far from being enjoyable, so I might as well be comfy while doing so," I shrugged.

Before Kate could argue, I grabbed my phone and laptop, and made my way out of my room, calling out goodbye behind me.

I slipped on a pair of converse, grabbed my car keys, and walked the parking lot where my car was parked.