Chapter 19

Chapter 19-

Eva tasted copper. She had only been here for a week but it had been hell. Her fingers ached from scrubbing the kitchen floor. As soon as she had arrived the director had made sure to put her to work. Eva had been denied the ability to sleep on a bed and had been forced to sleep in a closet.

She now sat in her closet holding her broken wrist. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks as she thought of her life at Hogwarts as a small comfort. All of a sudden she heard loud footsteps heading toward her. She whimpered as a hand grabbed her blond hair and dragged her out of the closet.

"You damn bitch! You and these stupid orphans have caused me too many problems!" Evangeline began to kick and shout. She knew what might happen if he took her away.

She had dug her nails into his hand and he had let go of her hair. Eva stood and tried to run away from the drunken director but he had caught her before she could get away.

He pushed her down the hallway, she cried out in pain as she heard her ribs brake. Eva then remembered the coin Professor Malfoy had given her and slowly reached for it. When she finished putting in the information professor Malfoy had shown her, she felt him kick her. As darkness claimed her she prayed for her professor to receive the message.

/

Draco was about to change into his bed clothes when he felt a small burning sensation from his robe pocket. He reached inside and found the duplicate coin he had given Eva.

Danger, please come ….orphanage…hurt…hurry

"Harry!"

Harry had also been about to change into his bed clothes when he had noticed Draco turn pale. "What's wrong, Dray?"

"Ms. Turner is in trouble we need to go and help her."

Harry nodded, called Winky and then they both touched the coin and Draco activated the Portkey inside the coin.

/

When they arrived they noticed that the orphanage was completely dark.

"Lumos!" Harry and Draco lit their wands and carefully searched for their student.

"Ms. Turner!" Draco called hoping she would answer.

After a couple of minutes they entered a room and what they found made Draco throw up.

The child had been beaten badly and she was in the corner of the room cradling her right arm. Draco could see blood dripping down the side of her head as she lay there as if in a coma. He walked slowly forward and he carefully touched her cheek.

"Ms. Turner, it's me professor Malfoy. Who did this?"

Harry was currently searching the room and found a drunken man asleep against the opposite wall. Harry was full of anger but he knew the little girl had seen enough violence so he only tied the man before sending his patronus to the Magical Law Enforcement. A few moments later three aurors arrived. They took the man away before releasing the child into Harry's custody.

Before leaving one of the aurors turned to Harry. "She is in your custody, professor, at least until we locate a proper place for her. Someone from the child protective services will arrive shortly to take care of the other children."

Harry nodded and the auror disappeared.

Draco had been trying to magically heal some of the wounds but she had too many. He finally picked up her fragile body and Apparated back to Hogwarts followed by Harry.

As they walked toward the castle, Draco prayed she would be alright. When they arrived Madam Pomfrey quickly began to heal the girl. Draco stood next to the girl's bed and Harry hugged him comfortingly.

"Do you think she will be alright, Harry?"

Harry sighed sadly

"I hope so, Dray."

When Madam Pomfrey finally moved away from the bed she looked shaken. Harry turned to her and asked how Evangeline was doing.

Madam Pomfrey looked angry. "This poor child, she has three broken ribs, a broken wrist, she is bruised all over and she had a large gash on her head. I fixed all of her broken bones and healed her bruises too. I gave her a pain potion and a dreamless sleep potion. Thankfully she did not suffer any long term damage from this."

Draco looked prepared to murder her attacker but Harry's comforting arm on his waist calmed him. "Calm down, Dray. We have to be strong and help her. We can't do much right now so take the next bed and sleep. I will sit by her and watch over her for now. Remember, we have another little one to look out for too."

Draco nodded and lay down on the hospital bed while Harry sat in a chair between both beds. As soon as his head hit the pillow Draco fell asleep. Harry smiled and turned to the girl on the bed next to them. He took her small hand and memories of another raven haired abused teen came into his thoughts. He would help this child with anything he could.

/

It had been two weeks since they had rescued Evangeline and she still had not awoken. Madam Pomfrey had explained that her body refused to wake up, medically she was fine but it seemed her mind had refused to wake up.

During those two weeks Draco and Harry would alternate in spending time with her. They had notified her best friend Bryan and he had come to visit a couple of times. The animal that had done that to her had been imprisoned in Azkaban, luckily they had rescued her before the abuse could go any further.

It seemed that the director of the orphanage had a drinking problem and would use the orphans to relieve his frustrations. Now, Harry had bought the orphanage, anonymously, and had hired new qualified individuals that would provide a better environment for the children. Harry and Draco checked on them every week; they called it Angel's Home for Angels.

/

Draco sat next to Evangeline's bed and held her hand. He was surprised when she felt a hand grip his shoulder.

"I know it's hard, Dray."

Draco looked at Harry before whispering. "I want her Harry"

Harry looked surprised but nodded

"Are you sure? Do you think she would accept?"

Draco looked at her face and touched her forehead slowly. "I don't know, but I don't want her to be alone anymore. She reminds me of us when we were young."

Harry nodded and sat down next to Draco. "We need you to wake up Evangeline. Draco and I want you to wake up and become part of our family."

Draco sighed and kissed Harry. "I will make sure she has no other relatives and then I will see what else we have to do." Harry nodded while Draco left the Hospital wing.