~7~

Y/n POV:

I checked my phone again. 7:26 P.M. Mark and I have been stuck on the Ferris wheel for about 45 minutes. Most of the people have already gotten off with the help of ladders, but since we are at the very top, the ladders can't reach us.

"Alright, we could probably climb down the beams if we wanted to," Mark said pointing at a path to get down. "That doesn't look very safe," I say hesitantly. "It'll be fine as long as we hold on tightly," he said as he started to climb out of the cart. He helped me climb over the edge of the cart, and we slowly made our way down.

Gosh, it's cold, I thought to myself. The wind isn't helping me keep my balance either. "Y/n, we just have to make a small jump to that beam over there," Mark said pointing at a beam. I looked at where he was pointing. "That isn't some small jump!" I said tightening my grip on the beam we were on. "It's dangerous enough climbing down and now you want me to jump from one beam to another?!" Mark shook his head. "I guess you just want to go back to the cart and wait for another hour, huh?" I nodded and said, "Yes, actually. I would love to go back to the cart." I started to move away, but Mark grabbed my arm. "Wait Y/n, I was kidding! Come on. I'll catch you if you miss." I groaned. "Fine.."

I watch Mark as he made the jump which wasn't to hard for him because of his height. Unfortunately for me, my legs aren't as long so I can't just step from one to another. He held out his hand and I looked down at the ground. "That's a long way down.." I muttered. "Y/n, look at me! Don't look down!" Mark said. "Oh please, don't act like I'm some damsel in distress." He raised an eyebrow and said, "I mean.. you kind of are. You won't make a small jump." I quickly glanced at the ground before making the jump. "Alright, let's keep going," I said shakily.

Y/n, you did not just make that jump, I thought to myself. Oh, yes, I did. Wow, I'm so cool 🙄. I smirked. I looked at the ground and I think we were about 7 stories off the ground. "So where are we going to go from-" OW! I just ran into something and hit my head. I rubbed my head and opened my eyes just to see "MARK!!" I yelled as I saw him falling to the ground. "Oh my gosh," I said covering my mouth. "I ran into him and he fell off!" He was getting close to the ground. I covered my eyes as I heard a thud. At this point, the noise had caused some more people to come over just to see a body laying on the ground. Someone had called the paramedics, and the fire department and I watched in horror as the paramedics put Mark on a stretcher and drive away to the hospital. The fire department's ladder was finally able to reach me and as the ladder touched the ground I ran towards Mark's car and drove towards the hospital.

As I walked up the reception counter, I asked the girl who was working there which room Mark was in. "Sorry hun, only family and close friends can see him right now." Think, Y/n, think. "I-I'm his partner!" She looked at me for a second before saying "Alright, down the hallway to room 106." I walked down the hallway checking each room number, but without looking into each room because that would be rude. 104, 105, 106. Well, here it is.

I stepped inside and saw Sally sitting in a chair next to Mark's bed. Mark looked like he was sleeping and Sally as if she was crying. She looked at me and said, "Hello Y/n." I sat down near the end of the bed. "Have the doctors said if he's going to be ok?" I said without looking up at her. She shook her head. "No, the doctor said he was coming back soon to give us a report." A doctor came into the room and said, "You are Mark's mother correct?" Sally nodded. "Well, luckily, the way that Mark hit his head let him survive. Unfortunately, the only reason he survived is because the pat of his head that got hit caused him to go into shock and into a coma."

I looked over at Sally who was on the verge of tears again. "Do you now how long he will be in a coma?" I asked. The doctor looked at his clipboard. "Comas can last from a few days to a few years. We aren't sure when he will wake up, but we will keep you updated on his consciousness." The doctor left the room, leaving just me, Sally, and Mark, who was in a coma. After a few moments of silence, Sally said, "I think I want to stay over night." I looked at her. "Alright. I think I'm going to get back. It's a bit late," I said looking at my phone. The truth is, it wasn't late. I just didn't want to see Mark like this. She nodded, and I left the room quietly.

As I walked into the house, I realized it was quiet. There wasn't Sally making dinner in the kitchen, or Mark talking to his friends. Just silence. I walked down the hallway to my room, and closed the door behind me. I sat down with my back to the door and cried. It was my fault, I thought to myself. You weren't looking where you were going. If you saw he stopped walking he wouldn't be in a coma. I cried some more. Eventually I got tired and just dragged myself to bed. Not even changing my clothes, I just took off my shoes and went to sleep.

1016 words