~13~

Y/n POV:

I opened the door to the cafeteria and looked around for Mark. "Do you want to come and sit with me and my friend?" I asked Sam. He nodded in return. I saw Mark wave to me so, Sam and I walked over to the table. I noticed Mark scan Sam up and down then say, "Y/n, who's this?" I smiled and said, "This is my new friend Sam. I met him at the gym for the prom decorations." Mark stood up and held out his hand to shake Sam's hand. Sam glared at Mark before slowly reaching out to shake his hand.

After lunch, Sam went off to math while Mark and I went to science. "I didn't like the way he looked at me," I heard Mark say as he took out a science book from his locker. "He looked like he was mad at me for something." I put in the code for the lock to my locker. "I'm sure it's nothing. You didn't even know each other before today, correct?" He nodded and closed his locker. "Come on, we're going to be late."

We walked into Mrs. Samantha's class. It was weird she always used her first names for classes and would never tell anyone her last name. "Hi Mrs. Samantha!" Mark said before he sat down. "Hello Mark. Students! Today we are going to be dissecting frogs." I heard a few students groan. "If it was up to me, we'd be doing something fun, but Alice-" I raised my eyebrow. Who's Alice? Mrs. Samantha continued, "I mean- Mrs. Monroe decided that you should dissect frogs today." Mrs. Samantha called on James, a random boy from the class, to help her pass out the tools and frogs.

"That was weird, huh? I've never heard anyone call Mrs. Monroe Alice." I heard Mark mutter. I nodded slightly. "They have a life outside school. Maybe they're good friends and hang out a lot. Anyway, who's partnering up with who for the history project?" He shrugged. "All I know is that Avery kept trying to get me to be her partner, so I told her I'm already partnering with you. So, she probably went off with one of her friends. Not sure about anyone else." I gasped dramatically and said, "She has friends? Who would've guessed?" Mark let out a snort and started to chuckle softly.

"You two in the back!" I heard Mrs. Samantha say in an annoyed tone. "Can one of you tell me what you do first when dissecting a frog?" I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. I looked over at Mark, and he raised an eyebrow at me then looked at Mrs. Samantha. "Um.. yes? Don't you have to turn it on it's back then cut down a line down the center of it?" Mrs. Samantha squinted at him then readjusted her glasses. "Correct, but next time please pay attention. You might actually miss out on something important."

Everyone started to put on gloves and talk silently about who would do what. "Wow, what a coincidence that we're at the same table to be partners. Can't imagine being stuck with someone like Liam. He's such a stuck-up," Mark said as he put on his gloves. I picked up the knife and slowly started to cut a line down the frog's stomach.

"Yeah. Since I'm stuck with you for history, what should we talk about?" He looked down at my hands while I was cutting the frog. "Well, I was thinking maybe we could- ok no. You're distracting me by how bad you are at dissecting frogs. Have you never dissected a frog before?" I stopped moving the knife but kept it in place. "No, actually. We didn't do that at my old school. Sorry if I'm not skilled enough at cutting open a frog as you are." He sighed then put his hands on mine. "Excuse me, sir but what are you doing." He rolled his eyes and said, "Don't be so flustered. I'm making you better at dissecting a frog."

Once Mrs. Samantha walked around and made sure everyone had cut open the frog she said, "Now, I want each person to take out an organ of choice and describe it on a piece of paper." I looked down at the frog and said, "We just cut open a frog and now she wants us to reach inside it and rip one of its organs out of its body?" Mark pulled the frog closer to him to take out an organ. "Well, when you say it like that it sounds really bad, but yes."

Mark decided on the lungs, and I chose the heart. He started to cut the pieces holding the lungs to the frog while I just zoned out looking at the classroom door. Then, I saw Sam pass by the door and wave and smile at me. I waved back and saw his eyes travel the boy next to me. His expression hardened, and his smiled faded before he walked away. "Hm.. I'll ask him about it later," I muttered. "Ask who what?" I heard Mark say as he handed me the heart. "Oh! It's nothing. Let's just continue with the dissection."

~~~
882 words