~Epilogue~

Y/n POV: (for the last time in this book 😭)

Everything went smoothly for the rest of the year. Mark and I did our history presentation and got a 98%. He asked me to be his partner in December and then he proposed in February. We're going to have this big wedding in Ju- ok no. I'm not getting married yet. Maybe some time in the future, you never know. Now it's May and prom is on Friday.

I don't think Mark and I even wanted to go to the prom. But Sally was making us go, and we were both cursed with being people-pleasers. So we were going to go. Sam had forced me to FaceTime him as I went to pick out an outfit. So, I had picked up an outfit with his help. Now, I was in my room, waiting for Mark to get ready. I heard a knock on my bedroom door. I opened it and I was greeted with a kiss on the forehead and a hug. "Hi," I muttered into his chest. I raised my head to get a good look at him. He wore a simple black and white suit and pinned to his lapel was a single red rose pin. "Oh, before I forget, this is yours," he said, letting me go and pulling something out from his back pocket. He opened his hand to reveal a matching rose pin. He pinned it over my heart. "There." He said happily. Of course, Sally insisted on taking pictures. After about ten minutes, we were finally released, and they told us to be back at twelve. I was pretty sure we would be both back long before then.

I smiled as he took my hand and we began to walk. We were walking there to stall for time. I began to hum a song I had heard on the radio yesterday. "What are you humming?" he asked. "Just a song." I shrugged, trying to avoid the topic. "What's it about?" he asked. "Something." In a way, I technically told the truth. I just didn't tell the whole truth. We stood outside of the school. "Thirty minutes." We said in sync. We laughed and went inside. Whispers followed us around, but we tried to ignore them. I looked around at all the people and pressed into Mark's side, as he wrapped an arm around me. We went to sit in the back corner, talking in low voices as we silently kept counting down the minutes. "HEy." A boy told me with a voice crack. He was drunk somehow. Fantastic.

"Yeah?" I asked as Mark tensed next to me. "Wanna drink? Then perhaps a dance?" He asked, setting a cup down in front of me. I tipped it with one hand, letting it spill on the table and off to the floor. "Heck no." I said. "Can you leave me alone?" And yet he asked me for another dance. I took off the pin and pointed it at him. "If you don't stop, I will not hesitate to stab you in the eyes." I hissed, and Mark stood up to his full height, towering over the boy. "I think you should leave them alone," he said. The boy quickly backed up, and I pinned the rose back over my heart. "I think it's time for us to go." I sighed. "Is it a new record?" Mark checked the time on his phone. "Five minutes. I would say so." He said. "Cool. Maybe next time we'll get to five minutes and one second if we try hard enough." I said, and we walked out into the cool night air.

"Do you want to go home?" he asked. "It's only ten thirty." "No, not really," I said. "Do you want to go to a park?" Mark shrugged, and we went into one a few blocks away. I sat down on top of a picnic table, kicking off my flats that were killing my feet. Mark sat down next to me. "What song were you talking about earlier?" He asked. "Do you have Spotify?" He handed me his phone, and I found it. "Wise men say, only fools rush in..." The singer sang softly. "But I, can't help, falling in love with you..." l saw Mark smile. "Shall I stay? Would it be a sin? If I can't help, falling in love, with you? Like a river flows! Surely to the sea! Darling, so it goes! Some things are meant to be... Take my hand. Take my whole life, too... For I can't help falling in love, with you... Like a river flows! Surely to the sea! Darling, so it goes! Some things are meant to be! Take my hand. Take my whole life, too... For I can't help, falling in love with you. For I can't help, falling in love with you..." "Did you like it?" I asked. "Yeah, I did." He said gently, hugging me into his side. I smiled as we gazed up at the single star that shone in the sky.

"Hey," he said gently. "Can you look at me?" I looked up at Mark. "This is for you." He said, putting a hand on my face. "What-"He leaned in and kissed me. I felt myself melt, leaning into the kiss he gave me. After a few seconds, he pulled back, smiling. "I love you." He whispered. "I love you." I whispered back. "And," He said, pulling out something from his back pocket. "More?" I asked, surprised. "Mark, you've already given me so much-" He looked at me. "And yet it's still not enough for what you continue to give to me." He said. "Listen, I know we're young, so I'm not proposing." He smiled, popping open a black box. "But this is a promise ring. One for you, and," be showed the ring on his ring finger, "one for me. I'll always love you." The ring looked extremely expensive. "Mark, this must have cost a fortune." I whispered. "Do you accept it?" He asked, and I saw a flash of fear in his eyes. "Of course, but it's too much-" He slid the ring on my finger. "It's not enough." He whispered, leaning in and kissing me again.

And under that watchful gaze of the single star that shone above us, we were happy.

THE
END

~~~
1064 words
That's the end of the book y'all
thanks for the support along the way <3
Another thanks to Silverstrike1300 for helping me with this chapter 🥲