IX

That night would be the last night he slept with Tobio in his bed. This thought actually made the Captain pretty sad, although he'd been sleeping by himself for a few years before that anyways. Since they brought the ship and elected him Captain, he had his quarters to himself and nobody entered the room except for him.

"You look sad. Um, are you okay?" Tobio asked as he stood taking off his circlets.

"Aye, fine."

"Okay, if you say so." 

The Prince watched as Atsumu got changed, noticing the small frown that sported his face when he thought he wasn't looking. The younger wanted to press and find out why he looked sad but knew it wasn't his place. So, when Atsumu went out to do a final check on their direction he sat up in the bed and questioned the reason behind his melancholy.

"It can't be bad food because we've ate pretty well. And we've had no trouble with other ships so it's not that. What could it be?" he questioned aloud before falling back and slumping onto the sheets, his lips forming a small pout from his face smushing the pillow.

"Why are yer pouting? I'm not complaining, yer look cute." teased the Captain.

"I'm not pouting." Tobio argued, moving to lie on his back to speak clearly.

"Shame."

The Prince rolled his eyes but watched as the older finished getting ready and slipped under the covers. He saw the watching blue eyes so turned to face the boy, Tobio copying him.

"What's got yer attention?"

"You're sad."

"I am not."

"Yes you are."

"Am not." 

"Are."

"Am not."

"Yes you are."

"Not."

"This can go on forever, so just tell me."

"No, yer gonna laugh."

"Fine, I promise I won't. Will you tell me now?" begged Tobio, even attempting to widen his eyes and pout to get what he wanted.

"Urgh, alright. I'm sad because I'm gonna have to sleep by myself tomorrow night. Yer gonna be with the crew below deck."

Tobio listened sincerely, and was surprised to find that Atsumu really was sad that he was going to have to sleep alone. He was going to suggest the Captain join them below deck but he knew that wasn't proper conduct. 

"Well, you slept alone without me before right?"

"Aye."

"So it won't be all bad. Plus you get more space." he added to try and lighten the small frown on the Captain's face.

"Aye." the older agreed but still didn't look happy.

"Did you not sleep well beforehand?" the Prince asked with concern.

"No, I did. I just had nightmares every so often."

"About?" asked Tobio gently.

"My past. My life before all of this."

"I see."

Shuffling closer to the Captain, he- although hesitant at first- gently grabbed one of Atsumu's hands in his and entwined their fingers together. The Captain watched with a small smile on his face as he looked at their joint hands.

"I like this." he stated and Tobio rolled his eyes but couldn't help smile a little too. Just a little.

"How about a deal?"