Welcome to the Squad(ron)

Thesaurus:
• TDY : Temporary Duty orders
• PCS : Permanent Change of Station
• RIO: Radar Intercept Officer
• ROKAF: Republic of Korea Air Force
• KF-16 C/D: Fighter jets F-16 Fighting Falcons; C for single seat & D for double seat
* Some terms are taken from US Air Force since I can't find what terms they use in Korea Air Force.
• For military ranks reference:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Korea_Air_Force

***

Ri Jeong Hyeok

With the way this month has flown, I will never guess what kind of news my squadron leader will give me when I am summoned to the office. So many news of movements and reassignment have shaken the whole Headquarters.

"Hey, Burn, you ask for me?" I call my squadron leader Ko Myeong Seok with his call sign after saluting him.

"Oh, Captain. Come on in." He waves me in and orders me to sit. "Hey, listen. Have you finished your last task?"

I nod at him. "Yes, I have. The tactical plan and combat route for 120th next TDY is ready. I need to hear their review but I'm sure just a little adjustment required. Why?"

"You've been reassigned. You are requested to join 123rd Fighter Squadron."

I don't respond, stunned expression in my face.

The 123rd Fighter Squadron is the legendary squad that successfully identified and battled a phantom North Korea fighter jets that breached South Korea airspace. Ever since, that squad is held in the highest regard.

And that's where my brother is assigned.

Burn chuckles. "That's quite an expression."

I instantly come out of my stupor and school my expression. "When?"

"You need to be out there at Seosan by the end of this month."

"Is it a TDY or a PCS?"

"From what I heard, it's PCS. But I'll confirm."

"Do you know why they want me?"

"Does it matter? It's the 123rd squadron we're talking about."

I shake my head. "No, of course not. Just curious."

"They asked me to give the best I have, so I give you."

His nonsense attitude when delivering this kind of compliment always amuses me. I let out a small smile, one I don't give so easily and thank him.

"Thank you, Burn. I'll handover the remaining task to ensure continuity."

"But, are you sure, Captain? You pick this route to ensure you can be as close as possible to your mother. Now, both of her sons will be there."

After graduating from Korea Air Force Academy, the pilots were assigned to a squadron, typically based on their major and their interest. It was convenient when your father was the Air Force Chief of Staff, General Ri Cheong Ryeol.

From the moment I entered the academy, all eyes were on me, the younger son of the General. Is he good? Can he keep up with his brother mercurial rise and his father long standing achievement?

Thankfully, I could prove that I was at least as good as them. By graduation, I was regarded as the best fighter pilot in my class. And I earned the callsign 'Captain' although we all commissioned as Junior Lieutenant. That callsign still sticks with me to this day.

To be a fighter pilot is always my dream. Everyone who knows me, knows it. No wonder it was a surprise to everyone that I chose to remain in 'support' squadron and not in the battlefield.