Turmoil

Ri Jeong Hyeok

"Next week?! Next week? Are you kidding me, Ace?" I erupt as soon as he finishes the sentence. I know I'm probably being unprofessional seeing as he doesn't currently act as my friend but as my superior.

"Trust me, I'm blindsided by this, too. We still down one man and already they ask for you. Tsk, and they ask us to be the best." Ace responds gruffly.

I pace around in his office. Damn, I hate this. "Is this your doing? Terius?" My tone accusing.

"Damn you, Captain! How could you think that?!" Ace abruptly stands up from his seat and yells.

I stop my pace. "Sorry. Sorry. I don't mean that."

"I know you don't mean that. Come on, calm down. Let's think."

"Can I reject it? Or postpone it?" I keep pacing around. "We can try. But the Air Force Operation Command is pretty adamant about this."

"What do you mean adamant? You say this is new."

"It's been circulating for about a week or so. Terius and I have tried to offer them almost everyone else. Including me."

"Shit. And they refuse?"

"Yes. That's why we finally tell you the news. We think you'll need reinforcement."

I stop and turn to him. "You think I need to talk to my father."

He nods. "That's the only thing that may help you stay, yes. This move screams power play however I see it. We'll need to counter with the same move."

Exactly. I almost can see the strings being pulled from all the directions. Something is very wrong here but I can't point to what.

The worst thought goes through my mind. What if this is because of the rumor of me and Se Ri?

But if it is... Shit, don't think about it, Ri Jeong Hyeok.

I throw my body to the seat in front of his desk and voice my frustration. "Just... when I think everything we'll be just fine for me and Se Ri."

"I know. I'm sorry, Capt." Ace sighs heavily.

"I'll try to talk to my father. Maybe I'll visit them this weekend."

"Terius and I will try again. At least changing the nature of the assignment to temporary. But... most likely you still have to go."

I nod, feeling thankful to have their supports. "If there's any way to make it not permanent, it'll give some time for me."

Ace nods. "Will you tell Se Ri?"

Question of the year.

I sigh. "I don't know what to say. She already has reservation about my work, I don't know how she'll react to this news. Maybe after I talk to my father." I pause a little. "Can I ask you not to tell your wife about this? The girls talk everyday. Just to minimize the possible damage."

Ace nods. "Again, I'm so sorry, Jeong Hyeok-ah."

"Hey, Boss. Do you think this has anything to do with the rumor?"

"About you and Se Ri? Honestly, I don't know, Capt. Maybe? Maybe not?"

I nod and leave his office in daze. I walk around the base trying to structure my thought. And blank. I need time. And I need plan.

"Will you tell Se Ri?"

If I have to describe the last three years of my life then surely I will describe it as the most incredible series of highs and lows.