Temporary Duty

Ri Jeong Hyeok

"I need to ask you a favor." My brother says when Ace leaves us.

"Yeah, anything, Hyung."

"Do you mind to look after Se Ri while I am away?"

That's unexpected. What's expected, however, is the way my heart squeezes at hearing her name. Is she sick or something?

"What do you mean? Is something wrong with her?"

Mash sighs. "She has a difficult pregnancy. She just got over her morning sickness which was pretty bad for her. And now we're dealing with bleeding. She needs bed rest for eight weeks."

"That sounds serious, eight weeks." Mash nods. "It does. Doctor says hopefully we can control it by the end of this bed rest period. But she'll need a lot of help. I'd ask my mother in law, but she needs to commute everyday. I don't think that's a good idea."

"What do you need me to do? I can pick her mother in the morning and take her back at night." The most important thing now is her health and the baby. My feeling doesn't have a place in this.

"That will be too much hassles for you. I just need you to check on her from time to time. Preferably at night. Ace and Terius' wives help her in the afternoon when I'm working."

Debating him will not be possible, I'll ask Se Ri if she prefers her mother to be here. Now, I just nod. "If that's what you need."

He walks to me and hugs me. "Thank you, Jeong Hyeok-ah. I owe you." I tap his back as a response.

The squadron flies out at exactly 1900 but I leave the base 30 minutes before that. I am thinking of going back home first before checking in on Se Ri, but turning around at the last minute.

I use the key given by my brother to enter their house and go directly to their room. I don't hear a sound from inside, so I knock and call her name.

"Yoon Se Ri? Can I come in?" At first, no response from inside but then I hear her small voice. "Come in."

She looks really surprise to see me. Well, why wouldn't she? I am the one who choose to stay away. I know it's for a very good reason, but still it warrants her reaction.

"What are doing here, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi?"

The way she asks that question is so heartbreaking in my ear. I'm the only one she can call family around the base aside from her husband. They say a brother in law is someone that comes into your life and becomes your friend, but that's not even remotely true for us.

There's no better timing to change that than right now. When she needs friend to depend on the most.

"Checking in on you. You good? Have you eaten?" I stay at my place at the door. "Your brother asked you to check in on me?"

"More or less. You don't answer my question. Have you had dinner?" She rolls her eyes but nodding. "Ae Rin Eonnie set me up with beef bulgogi."

"Okay, okay. Do you need anything more tonight?" She regards me from her place on the bed and shakes her head. "I'm going to sleep. Thank you for checking in on me. Sorry if we bother you."

"Don't worry about it. Hyung is... he's not comfortable leaving you alone. I don't think he can concentrate on his mission if his thought is back here. So... what can I do to make you more comfortable?"

She shakes her head again, seemingly stunned with my question. Or my behavior?

"I'm okay. Aren't you on temporary duty somewhere?" I nod. "I've just got back. Listen, what about your mother be here during this period? Is that something that you want?"