One Time

⚠️ Possible Sensitive Theme Ahead: Death ⚠️
================================

Yoon Se Ri

"Okay... Okay. You're okay, baby is okay, you can get up, Yoon Se Ri. Ri Jeong Hyeok will be here anytime soon, he'll bring you to the hospital." Even when I say all of this out loud, I don't move from my current position on the floor. My tears keep flowing and all I can do is clutching my pregnant belly.

No pain in my stomach, that's good, right? But there's blood. Not much, but blood nonetheless. Please, please, let it be good. God, you've given me all the hardship in this pregnancy, can you spare my baby just this once?

Clasping both of my hands together in a prayer, I regulate my breath and focus on praying. Please, spare me this one time. Don't take this baby away from me. Don't take this baby away from us.

Willing my jelly leg to regain its strength, I try to hoist my body up. I'm in the middle of this when I hear the front door is opened and Ri Jeong Hyeok' roar. "YOON SE RI! Tell me where you are!" he shouts.

Hearing his voice brings a little relief but makes me cry myself out again. I'm so scared. "I'm here!" I try to shout as loud as my crying voice allows. He finds me half standing with blood flowing through my leg. This must be horror view for him.

"Shit, you're bleeding." He curses when he sees me but jumps into action. He picks me up bridal style and mumbles 'you're okay' repeatedly and in no time we drive to the Central Hospital. The drive is spent with only the sound of soft cry accompanies us. He concentrates on driving us as fast as he can while trying to comfort me at same time.

But I don't think there's a thing that'll bring me comfort right now beside knowing that my baby is safe. That's really the only thing that matters. When we arrive at the hospital, a nurse and a doctor are waiting for me with a wheelchair.

Ri Jeong Hyeok stops the car and then helps me out of the car to the wheelchair. The doctor and the nurse take me away from there and I turn around holding out my hand searching the only familiar hand I can hold onto. He takes my hand, clutching it in his bigger hand providing the first slice of comfort.

"You're okay. You're okay." He keeps saying that while jogging beside me. Either to comfort me or to reassure himself. They bring me to the ER and have the doctor examined me, they bring out the Doppler tools to hear the baby's heartbeat and will send me for an ultrasound afterward. I let Ri Jeong Hyeok go as he needs to take care the administrative part.

"Don't be too long." I plead with him. "I won't." He promises and then leaves me with the doctors. I keep glancing at the Doppler wondering why they haven't used that tool on me.

That thing can either bring me the biggest comfort or the biggest heartbreak.

***

Waiting like this is my nightmare. Especially in the hospital and alone.

After they conclude that I'm in stable condition, they ask me to wait for an OB/GYN resident to check on the baby. But where is this so called resident?! I know it's not more than a few minutes but I need someone to operate that Doppler for me.

And where is Ri Jeong Hyeok? Why hasn't he come back?

Waiting is my... the curtain to my bed is parted by someone who I assume the resident.

"Mrs. Yoon? I'm Dr. Chu Min Ah, I'm going to check on your baby's heartbeat, okay?" I nod. My fear gradually comes back.

"Do you experience any pain on your belly?"