First Day Out

Jake rocked back and forth on his feet as he waited for his luggage to come around on the carousel. He tied a white bandanna to the handle so he wouldn't accidentally grab anyone else's by mistake. He had two bags, which he regretted because he knew he was going to need more than that for a three month job.

Once he had his bags in his possession he waited for his manager to pick him up. He would be picking him up in a black dodger. While lingering, he turned on his phone, hoping for just the tiniest bit of reception to text Tom and his family. The airport was located in the middle of nowhere, which was odd for New York City. He shoved his phone back into his pocket, because as expected, there was no signal for anything to go through.

A screech made him look up from his bags. A car had come to a halt in front of him. It was his manager. He rolled down the window and flashed a million dollar smile. "Long time no see."

Jake chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah. Sorry about that by the way." He opened the passenger side door and hopped in the car.

"I'm not the one you need to apologize to. Now the director on the other hand-"

"Yeah, yeah. No need to say it." He rubbed the temples of his head, already stressed out about having to kiss the director's ass to keep this role.

They pulled into a nice hotel that Jake would be staying at for the next three months. It had at least fifteen stories, and a large outdoor pool. Every window was complex in design, and the overall look of the building was a ten out of ten rating.

His managers car rolled off, right after giving Jake his room number and key. As soon as he stepped into the building, his phone went off. A feeling of relief hit when he realized that this place had reception. Thank goodness. He wasn't sure if he could go three months without any wifi.

He walked to the elevator with his head down, focused on his phone screen. He was in the middle of texting Maggie back when his body slammed into anothers. His phone fell out of his hand onto the floor, and he stumbled back a little bit.

"Sorry!" A familiar voice squeaked. He watched as the slim brunette bent down and picked up his phone for him.

"I'm a clutz, so you'll have to forgive-"

"Alyssa?" He interrupted.

She held his phone tightly when her name was said. Her mouth slightly parted, turning into a smile. "Jake?" She wrapped her arms around his neck. "I've missed you! How have you been?"

Jake wiggled out of her hold, not liking the feeling of hugging his ex. "I've been good." He gave a nervous smile, politely taking back his phone. "Are you still modeling?"

Alyssa giggled, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "Yeah, I'm on my way to a runway show right now actually." She jumped, excited. "Would you like to come with me? There's a huge after party with-"

He cut her off again. "Actually, I can't. I'm busy today." He wanted this conversation to be over with. The only reason he asked her a question was to be nice, which he was now regretting heavily. He forgot how much she talked.

She pouted. "Oh okay. But we should hang out when you're free."

Jake gave a pity smile. "Bye, Alyssa." He gave her the cold shoulder, and continued walking to the elevator. He scoffed at how bold she was, especially after how terrible their relationship ended.

The elevator dinged open, and he punched in the seventh floor number. The door closed, and it slowly began to rise. As he was waiting, he began texting Tom. He felt guilty knowing that his ex was here, and figured Tom deserved to know.