Hiking

"I'm bored." Jake elongated. He laid his head on Tom's stomach.

"Same." He replied. "There's nothing to do here."

Quarantining for almost two months now was getting exhausting. Jake sat up and looked out the window. The sun was bright as ever, and he focused on the nature trail that was located to the side of the apartment. "Do you want to go for a walk?"

"Mm, I don't know."

"Oh come on, it'll be fun. Besides, we need to get out of here." He pulled Tom onto his lap, resting his hands on his waist.

Tom sighed, fondling Jake's hair. "Okay then." They kissed sweetly for a brief moment. He moved off of his lap and strolled over to the closet. He grabbed a lounging shirt, and pulled it over his torso.

Jake stared while he got ready, observing the perfectness of his boyfriend. The way his back muscles flexed when he lifted his arms, how his hair fell over his forehead, and the way he scrunched up his face when thinking. Nothing about Tom was grotesque. Not one thing.

Tom caught him staring, and his face became flushed. "What are you staring at?" He slipped on pair of shorts that put his thigh muscles on display.

"You." He confessed, grinning. He stood from the bed and grabbed one of his shirts out of their drawer.

"Should I do my hair?" Tom asked, looking into the bedroom mirror that hung on their wall. He ran his hand through his curls, adjusting a few pieces.

"Nah, nobody should be out." Jake snaked his arms around Tom's waist, laying his head on the back of his shoulder. He kissed him on the neck and watched as Tom checked his phone messages. "I have an idea." He said.

"Go on."

"How about we leave our phones and apple watches here?" He squeezed Tom's waist tighter. "You know, just enjoy the outdoors and being with each other with no distractions."

Tom kept looking down at his phone, texting people. "But what if something important comes up?" He had another zoom call soon about the premiere of Cherry, and was paranoid he'd miss urgent information.

"It'll be fine. You have all day to get back to them."

He sighed, and put his phone down. He plugged it in to charge, and turned around to face Jake. "Alright." He pecked him on the lips.

They took off their electronic watches, and left their phones on the nightstand. Just as they were about to walk out the front door, Tessa started whining. "Can she come with us?" Tom asked, petting her head.

"I don't mind."

Tom retrieved her leash, and attached it to her collar. They stepped out into the warm crisp world. The beginning of May was always Tom's favorite time of year. It wasn't too hot, and it wasn't too cold.

Jake reached for Tom's left hand to hold, since his right hand was occupied with Tessa. He softly swung their hands back and forth as they approached the hiking trail. Once they finally reach the end, they will have done about a mile of walking.

The dirt path they ventured had the brownest soil, with occasional rock pebbles engraved in it. Surrounding the dirt road were palm trees. The trees had the greenest of leaves, and the strongest of trunks. They seemed to rustle as a gentle breeze blew threw the air. Lining the road were flower bushes, swaying in the wind. Some were filled with roses, others were inhabited with buttercups.

The sun fell on the duo, as they let the warmth devour their dull souls. The sky was cloudless, being a beautiful blue. Something about being outside, and getting out of the house, was reviving. Nourishing even.