Her and I and No One Else

I made my way into the school. I was nervous yet anxious. I was worried Alice wouldn’t even look at me. Which I wouldn’t give her a reason to glance in my direction. It wasn’t like we were dating or even remotely friends. Maybe a friendship could occur at any time. We did have one kindling, sowing together over the weekend.

The weekend was, like she said, an experiment. Would we somehow become friends from bonding over a dead bird? Or was it purely fun.

I saw both James and Conner waiting for me. I had no patience for dealing with them today. My temples throbbing as I went to my locker.

“Dude, why didn’t you tell us you had a thing with Alice! She’s fucking hot!” James exclaims. Confusion ran through me. I rolled my eyes. He had to be messing around.

But how did he know about Alice and I together this weekend?

Maybe Clara mentioned to Kim that she saw us talking in the library.  

I walked to my locker and put in my combination. The whole student body gave me weary looks. Some even patted me on the back, saying congrats for no reason at all. When I finally get my locker open, someone slams it shut. I see Kimberly standing there, with a wicked smirk on her face.

“Edward Sheeran! You didn’t tell me that you were doing naughty things with my sweet Alice!” Kim says rather loudly. I squint at her, this could not be real. James got her in on the cruel trick. Maybe she got him on it, reversed this whole thing. 

I blinked.

How the fuck did the whole student body know about this?

 I walked away in search of Alice. She needed to know that everyone, or at least our close friends, were thinking we were together. We weren’t even together! It felt as if I was in the Twilight Zone. 

“Edward!” Clara screamed after me. Her squeaky voice making me flinch. I turned around to see her running up to me. Well, if you could call her stupid prancing running. To which I don’t. I heard students go ooh and say, ‘You’re In-trouble!’ 

I gave her one of my legendary fake smiles that I used to always pull with her. Clara’s face was red, and you could tell she was furious. To which I had no clue why. We broke up, no regrets, right? 

“Where the hell were you this weekend? Your mother and I were so worried!” She yelled. “You cannot do that to us.”

I looked down at her, backpack strung over my shoulder. Over her shoulder, I caught something. My attention wasn’t towards Clara. It was towards the familiar girl I came accustomed to over the weekend, running to me. Her blonde hair bouncing. I snicker quietly to myself. She isn’t like Clara, she actually full on dashes, instead of prances. 

“I can explain!” Alice says once she reaches me, out of breath. She rests her hand on my arm, leaning over. Panting like a little kid. Making me laugh harder as Clara glares at her. A scowl plastered across her face. You could tell a war was about to start. “I told Kim we hung out, it was-“

“Umm, excuse me. We were talking.” Clara sneers. 

Alice looks at Clara, then back at me, then back to Clara. She just smiles then rolls her eyes. Totally unfazed by Clara’s rude ways. 

“You broke up!” Alice says to Clara loudly. “Right, you broke up!”

“Yeah, I thought we did too.” I say now with a smile that never fades when I’m close to her.

“Are you guys dating now?” Clara spits out with a venomous attitude. “We just broke up, Ed. How the fuck could you?”

I look at Alice now. Eyebrows raised. She smiles at me then winks, I laugh. 

“I don’t know…” Alice shrugs then giggles. “After everything this weekend, hmm.”    

Clara groans then grabs my hands. Locking them together with mine. This used to make my heart jump. Now it does nothing at all.  Clara looks me in the eyes. Her beautiful blue eyes beaming into mine. Her eyes press into mine in a begging sort of way. I just felt pity for her. I pull back quickly. Checking Alice’s reaction along the way. She still remained unfazed, like she knew Clara would do this. 

“You broke up with me.” I say rudely. Then instantly feel bad. 

“Yes, and it was the worst decision I ever made, I love you…” Clara says quietly. 

I really was in love with her, truth be told. Or I thought I was. Maybe I was in love with her popularity. Yet, this weekend proved I don’t need her. Clara used to make my heart skip a beat. Alice replaced her instantly. 

“Actually we are dating. Yeah. We’re a couple. Right Ed?” Alice says. “So get your hands off of my fucking boyfriend.”

Alice knew I needed saved. Saved from Clara’s evil clutches. Alice grabs my hand from Clara’s. Grasping onto it, her tiny hand felt great against mine. Like a missing puzzle piece of some sort. I just stood there, sort of stunned. Clara gasps and Alice lets out a tiny laugh. 

“Yeah right. You barely looked at each other before Friday.” Clara says easily. Shrugging off our lie instantly. “You are both liars.”

“We didn’t want you to know.” I say quickly. “I kind of-” 

Before I could finish my sentence Clara cut me off, saying, “You cheated on me!”

Actually she screamed it.