This Is the Start of Something New

Every move she makes creates a storm, making my heart go rapid. Her smile and green eyes, the color of beach glass, the gorgeous kind. I fell head over for her years ago. Now she's back and I'm in the same place again. 

It's to late. I've said yes to the other girl. The one who is equally perfect. Her laugh and dimples and personality. Everything about her is perky and maybe that's why I agreed. 

Now here I am, sitting by the water with her. It was a amazing night. Not to hot nor humid. I could see the stop lights changing from red to green and back again. I haven't told her yet, and maybe I don't want to. I want to save this night. 

Alice had a certain smile on her face. The one I've always loved. Something sneaky and mischievous to it. You could say I had the same smile too. I always have this smile with her. 

She held on my hand like never before. Like we only had one night together. Somehow I know that is true. I don't push farther than the holding hands. I don't want to be called a cheater. Hell, you could already say I was. 

She turned to me. The moon was spotlighting on the river. The perfect time to press my lips to hers. I don't. She bites her lip, making me absentmindedly want her. 

"Is it possible to be so grown up at such a young age?" she asks and I look away. I know what she's talking about. 

Finally I say, "You've been through a lot. You could say that you've grown up."

She nods and stays silent. Her barefooted feet dangle and she looks down at her thighs. I am at a loss for words. She seems sad. I don't know what to say to cheer her up. 

"Have you ever heard Taylor Swift's song Mine?" I ask randomly and she nods. "It makes me think of us every time I hear it. When I'm with Taylor, she always hums it or sings it. I don't know why, maybe it's her favorite..." I ramble on like a babbling idiot. 

"Really?" Alice sighs. It's not a Really? That's stupid. It's more like, Really? I think that's sweet. 

"Yeah. Most of her songs remind me of us. I don't know why. Maybe her relationship problems are similar to ours. Or how ours were." 

Alice smiles and leans closer to me, "Right, because we are starting over." 

Then it begins. She plants the very first kiss. Her lips are perfect and it feels like the first time. It's a guilty pleasure. My hands shake and I realize I'm not usually this nervous. 

I pull away and she gives me an odd look. I feel crazy. She pulls me again and smiles wickedly, but it's a beautifully, crooked smile, that I remember so closely. I'm a little more brave this time as she presses her lips against mine again. 

It's the first kiss of this love. The start of something new. Starting over. We can't though. I'm with Elizabeth. Push that away Ed, you love Alice. You've always loved Alice, I tell myself. 

The kiss though. It's the first one. The best one. It's flawless. Really something. Some type of masterpiece. 

I stand up and Alice follows. We walk to my car, hand in hand. We walk to my car with every inch of our bodies touching. I run my hands through her hair as I watch the moonlight fade across the water. As I watch cars pass by us in the parking lot. 

I'm captivated by her beauty. She is really something. Perfect. She smiles again at me and then it happens, like in every Love Story. It starts to rain. 

Not just rain or sprinkle. It pours. Soaking her and her best, white dress. The one with the lace and orange bow that she had tied around her waist. She laughed at first, but it fades and we are stuck there. Standing, facing each other. Eye to eye, chest to chest, heart to heart.