I'll Be Drunk Again

"I got your letter." She says into the phone, her mouth was stuffed. Probably chocolate.

"Yeah , Alice, can you tell me what's going on?" I ask and I hear her groan, then a slam.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" she asks and I sigh.

I didn't want to just come out and say Conner told me everything. I didn't want to just come out and say I know she's different now. Maybe it was just an assumption.

"Why are you skipping classes?" I ask, not knowing what else to say.

"How do you know?"

"Conner told me." Alice stayed silent for awhile. I knew this was going to be a whole huge battle, not worth fighting. I didn't want it to be, really, truly, honestly. I'm just worried for her.

Finally Alice says, "There's someone else."

My heart stopped. What did she mean "someone else." I didn't wanna cry, I wanted to yell and scream and ask her why over and over again.

"W-what do you mean?" Don't be a wimp Ed, don't let her be the bigger person. The better person? Ha! What is that anymore? It seems like it's a contest now, between us, of who could act like they care less.

"There is someone else, Ed. I found someone else." She was hinting it, I knew of that. She didn't want to say she was cheating. She was being delicate with me.

"God Alice! You're so-" I didn't finish.

"I'm so what! I'm such a bitch, I know! I'm a whore, slut, bitch. I'm worthless! I've heard it all! Let me hear it!" She yelled into the phone. I closed my eyes. This was not supposed to happen.

"Why did you cheat?" I asked.

"Why did you?" She retorted. I sighed again.

"I kissed her, once, it was rubbish. Silly. Ridiculous!"

Ah! Why did she have to be so stubborn.

"Ed, we're over. It's just to hard with the distance." She says. Same reason for Clara too. Always the same reason, huh?

"What about Prom?" I ask quietly, she remains quiet until I repeat the question again. "What about Prom, Alice?"

"I don't know Ed. Why would we even go now?" She replies.

Why would we go now? Maybe because we love each other. I didn't say that, of course, instead I stay silent. Not wanting my voice to crack, making me look foolish. The sound was of our heavy breathing on both sides of the call.

I had already bought everything. The suit, the flowery thing the girls wear, the damn tickets. I had to drive all the way down there and purchase the tickets, free hand. They were not cheap.

I breath in a deep breath. I was trying to keep myself calm and cool, so I wouldn't end up blowing up at her. Trust me, the big fight was coming.

"I already bought the tickets already, Alice." I say, getting impatient. My patience is gone, like it just evaporated into thin air.

"Sell them," She says bluntly. I wasn't expecting that kind of answer. "Take someone else." There was question in her voice. Take someone else? She would freak if I did that.

That was the last straw. I was going to snap. She's pushed me to far. Take someone else! Wow, huh, she definitely means business. I push my hair away from my eyes.

I fired back with, "Fine, I will."

"Yup," She pops the P, "This isn't going to work out." Then Alice says, "Have fun at the fucking Prom!"