The First Time In The City

I reach my destination. Just glad that I finally made it off the plane. I think it was the longest trip I ever took. My eyes were red and puffy. I was missing Alice.

Greg had told me there was going to be a car picking me up as soon as I got off the plane. I just wanted to walk. I don't where too. Since I'm not familiar with this place.

I walked down the stairs and outside. I took a deep breath of fresh air. So this is America. I traveled down the boardwalk in search of something to eat. I already knew the car picking me up would be here at one. It was twelve-fifty and I was starved. Plus the plane food was completely and utterly terrible. All heathy cuisine shit. I needed something incredibly fattening and deep fried.

I dug in my pocket for my phone. I turned it on and checked the time. Useless. I dialed Alice's number. Wondering how the doctors appointment went anyways.

Ring.

Pick up Alice, I thought.

Ring.

Answer!

Ring.

She's not going to answer.

Ring.

She's probably mad you didn't stay home, I mentally slapped myself.

Ring.

Or sleeping.

Ring.

Or ignoring me.

Ring.

Who would ignore me, I'm sexy as hell!

Ring.

I would ignore me.

Finally a very sleepy Alice answers. I let out a huge sigh of relief. I was right! She was, in fact, asleep!

"Aha!" I cheer, knowing that was the cause.

"Hello." Alice murmurs into the phone in a groggy voice. Probably still half asleep, curled into a ball. The phone pressed to her ear.

"Alice, baby, glad you finally answered!" I say sarcastically.

"I was asleep," She tells me. "How was the plane ride?"

"Horrible." I say honestly.

"How was the doctors?" I ask as I walk into a local store.

I walk up and down the aisles. Looking for something, anything to snack on.

"Great. The baby is fine. I got an ultrasound done. I talked to the doctor about teen pregnancy. She said I needed to tell my mum and dad asap. They need to be at the next appointment." Alice says in a monotone voice. My heart drops. I should've been there.

"That's great about the baby. Are you okay with telling mum?" I ask, mimicking her tone.

"I really could care less about her reaction to be honest." Alice says, and I could tell she just rolled her eyes and ran her hand through her hair.

It's sort of funny how you can tell someone's actions over the phone. I've definitely memorized her.

"It's my dad I'm worried about. Yet, they had to of known we were doing it. I mean c'mon! It's obvious we were fucking!" Alice says quite loudly.

My face burns with embarrassment, even though I'm not even there. She was probably hoping they would hear her. That when she does break the news to them on won't be such a shocker.

"Mhm." I say, munching on my purchased candy bar.

"That's why both of us will tell our parents together. They can't break us up now." She perks up a bit, then her cheerful voice fades. "I miss you Ed."