Prologue

"Sasha, please. 'Wag mo naman gawin satin toh oh. I thought you felt what I felt?" Kai pleaded. Tears had formed in her eyes though she's not one to show the world her emotions. "Sash, nung dumating ka sa buhay ko, I—I don't know. Parang dun ko lang na-realize that I've been blind this whole time. Ikaw ang nagbukas ng puso at isipan ko sa maraming bagay—," she began to explain but Sasha only shook her head. "Pero alam mong mali eh," Sasha said. A tear has finally escaped one of her eyes. Kai looked defeatedly to the ground. "Pero it feels right," she replied. Sasha quickly wiped her face as if she didn't want to be seen crying either. "Kalimutan na natin toh. This is not how it's supposed to be. Babae tayo pareho for goodness sake, Kai," she reasoned. "But I've never felt this way before," Kai said so quietly that Sasha almost didn't hear her. "Feelings can be deceiving. Alam mo yan. You of all people should know that. Kaya ka nga hindi maka-let go sa past relationships mo kasi you hold on to your feelings too tightly na hindi mo na nakikita kung gano ka-toxic at abusive yung relationship na meron ka," Sasha reminded her. Kai felt like she was stabbed in the chest with a knife. She knew it was true, but it hurts to hear it come out of somebody's mouth. "Tama ka naman eh. Tama naman na I'm weak. Pero nagmahal lang ako sa paraan na alam ko," she said while she couldn't stop the parade of tears that fell on her face. "Kai, you have to be strong. You can't go out there loving everyone. Sa sobrang mapagmahal mo, pati sakin nagkagusto ka na," Sasha begged. She had the urge to hold Kai's hand, but she knew it was like ripping off the bandage on her friend's wounded heart. Kai nodded. "Before you go, can I just ask—," she hesitated. "Ano yun?" Sasha asked. "Does it make you wonder what it is that made you kiss me back?" Kai asked in return. Sasha paused. Then she swallowed. "Nadala lang siguro," she replied. Kai nodded feeling heartbroken. "I'll see you around," she told Sasha who nodded in return. "See you," Sasha replied while she gathered her belongings. "Mahal kita," Kai uttered. Sasha swallowed. She didn't dare say a word. Kai watched as Sasha walked away hoping she'd turn around and run back to her. Sasha sighed. "It was just a mistake. Nadala ka lang," she tried to convince herself over and over. She had never felt the way she did when Kai kissed her. Then she paused. She looked back. Kai had tears in her eyes. The two of them stared at each other. Sasha felt as if her heart was being squeezed right out of her chest. Then she let out a cry. She ran. She ran as fast as she can until she was out of breath. "Kai!" She yelled, but Kai was nowhere to be found.