Chapter 30

"Over here!" Sasha flagged the first responders that had just entered the property. She wanted to hold Kai in her arms but was too afraid to move her.

"Is there any other victim, ma'am?" One of the emergency personnel first asked Sasha while he and the others hurried towards them.

"What? No," Sasha frowned. The question confused her. She continued to apply pressure on Kai's forehead while she waited for the EMTs to take over.

"What happened?" Another man asked.

"It was a hit-and-run," Sasha could barely get the words out of her mouth. A mixture of worry and anger rushed all over her body at the thought of the recklessness and carelessness of Kai's ex-fiancé.

"Are you okay?" A female first responder asked. "You look pale. Let's have you step away and let us take over."

Sasha hesitated. She didn't want to leave Kai's side nor let go of her, but she knew the others were there to help so she knew she was going to have to follow their instructions.

"Kai," she patted her face gently. Her hands were coated with blood.

At this point, Kai was in and out of consciousness.

"Lumaban ka," Sasha said. "Please," she begged.

Kai didn't respond so Sasha leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the lips. A subtle smile formed on the corner of Kai's lips while she made an effort to open her eyes.

"Yan ang maghihintay sayo kaya gumising ka kaagad. Lumaban ka. I'm going to let them take over, but I'm just close by. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere," Sasha said in tears. Then she gave way to the first responders. "She said she can't feel her legs," she let them know. Then she swallowed.

"I have an adult female, mid-thirties, victim of a hit-and-run with possible spinal injury," the EMT said on his radio.

"You're at 100 Park Avenue? I have you dispatched for an elderly lady. They said she fell and might have broken her shoulder," someone radioed back to him.

"Can I get status on elderly patient, please? Yes, we're here at Park Avenue. You got another unit on the way?" The man asked.

Sasha frowned while she wondered what they were talking about.

"I have two separate units dispatched on the same address. One for an elderly patient, possible broken shoulder, that's you guys. And I have the other unit for an adult female with life-threatening injuries from hit-and-run. Suspect still being sought out," the man on the radio informed the EMT that was on the scene with Sasha and Kai.

"We're working with the younger patient. We need to get her to the hospital ASAP. She's losing a lot of blood fast," the EMT raidoed back.

"Copy that. I'll send the other unit to the other one. I'll let them know you guys are with the hit-and-run," the man replied.

Sasha immediately thought of Tonya at the mention of a fall and a possible broken shoulder. She immediately started to worry about her, but there was no way she was going to leave Kai. She promised she'll be close by . She knew Tonya would understand. She thought Kai's grandmother would rather have her stay with her granddaughter anyway. "Is she okay?" She asked. She didn't care if the man thought she was eavesdropping.

"Too soon to tell if I'm being honest with you," he said while he let his team take over.

Sasha swallowed. Then she shook her head. "I meant the elderly lady. Do you know if she's okay?" She asked again.

"If her shoulder's the only thing that's injured, she's probably going to be okay," he answered.

"And my friend?" Sasha asked nervously. Sasha quickly glanced over at Kai before she turned to look at the EMT again.