Chapter 35

"Please leave me alone for now, ma. Ayoko na muna ng bisita," Kai closed her eyes as tears continued to pour out from them.

"Kai," Donna frowned.

"Please," Kai shook her head. She didn't bother opening her eyes to look at her mother. "Tell Kiera I'll see her tomorrow. I just want to rest."

Donna swallowed while she stared at her daughter. She knew she should probably give her some space so she got up from the chair and held Kai's leg gently.

Kai didn't feel her mother's touch, so she didn't react.

"Magpagaling ka, anak," Donna wiped the tears from her eyes whike Kai remained silent. A few minutes later, she finally left her daughter alone.

About an hour later, Kai opened her eyes when she realized someone was moving around her. It was a nurse.

"Hi," the nurse greeted her with a smile. "My name is Kelly, I'm your nurse for today. How are you feeling, Ms. Kailah?"

Kai swallowed. Somehow, she hoped Sasha would be right in front of her the moment she opened her eyes. She shook her head.

"Not good? What's wrong?" Kelly asked. She checked on Kai's IV. "Are you in any pain, Ms. Kailah?"

Kai didn't bother with the physical pain. It was what she was feeling in her heart that was troubling her, and she hated the fact that there's no medicine she could take to make the pain go away.

"Ms. Kailah, do you need more medication for your pain?" Kelly asked again, but Kai didn't bother answering.

"Sweetheart, I need you to tell me what's wrong, so I can better help you. Okay?" Kelly looked at her, but Kai had already closed her eyes. This made her sigh. "I'll give you some time. Your call button is right here within reach. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything," she told her. She gave her patient a chance to answer, but Kai didn't respond so she left to give her some privacy.

The whole thing exhausted Kai so much that the next time she opened her eyes, the nurses have already changed shifts.

"Hi po, Ms. Kai," the voice sounded familiar, but it was someone she didn't know.

"Hi," Kai tried to be courteous.

"Sarap po ng tulog nyo sabi ng day nurse, kamusta po pakiramdam nyo?" The night nurse asked.

"I just want to sleep," Kai rested her back on the pillow.

"Ms. Kai halos two months na po kayong tulog. Di po ba kayo nagugutom? Malapit na po sila mag-serve ng dinner, pero ayaw po nilang mabigla yung tiyan nyo kaya soft diet muna kayo ha," the nurse informed her.

"I'm a nurse, too. I know the protocol," Kai hated how she sounded like a know-it-all. "I'm sorry," she immediately apologized.

"'Wag po kayong mag-sorry. I've dealt with worse," the nurse smiled.

Kai swallowed. "Not only do you sound like her, but you're also just like her," she held her tears back. She didn't want to sound and look more vulnerable than she already is.

"Sino po? If you don't mind me asking," the nurse asked politely.

"Yung totga ko," Kai smiled a little, but the pain she was feeling deep down was unbearable.

"Totga. The one that got away. Tama po ba?" The nurse's voice softened even more.

Kai just continued to stare at her. "Alam mo kung anong mas masakit pa sa maiwanan?"

The nurse looked at her and patiently waited for her to continue.

"Yung alam mo sa puso mo na mahal ka din naman nya, pero pinili ka pa rin nyang iwan," Kai looked away and stared at the wall.